New 19 ft, 6 inch Carbon Fiber Push Pole $300

Discussion in 'The Commercial Zone' started by JoeWelbourn, Jun 18, 2008.

1. JoeWelbourn

JoeWelbourn "The Flats Solicitor"

Carbon Marine is now offering a 19 ft, 6 inch carbon fiber push pole for $300.  The push pole weighs less than 5 lbs.  The push pole is made in sections by Mangrove Push Poles.  Carbon Marine buys the 19 foot, 6 inch kits and assembles the 4 sections.

Options Available:
    14'9"- includes 3 sections/2 ferrules/tip and crotch assembled: $240
    19'6"- includes 4 sections/3 ferrules/tip and crotch assembled: $300
    24'2"- includes 5 sections/4 ferrules/tip and crotch assembled: $360

[​IMG]

Now before all of the "experts" chime in.  I will address the obvious.  

IT IS NOT THE SAME AS A STIFFY-----BUT it is $300!  (Hail Stiffy---long live Stiffy, clearly the market king).  But, you can buy 2 Mangroves, break them, fix them 3 times and still not spend $700. The issue surrounding pushpoles is the freight costs.  These Mangrove push poles can ship FedEx or UPS.   Stiffy can't  so you have to incur the freight cost (whether your dealer tells you or not).

I am not the type of person that would market a product based solely on price but I have one of these in my shop right now.  The finish and weight is excellent.   I was stunned at the quality of the carbon fiber.  I have not water-tested it yet.  Once I return from business travel next week I will test it (as will ApolloBeachSam, I spoke to him about them today).

I welcome all feedback: phone calls, emails, PMs, etc whatever you use to communicate. Positive or negative: you know I am taking the passive karma approach to life now---it is all good.  I am at peace at the shop---or it that having a piece?  :-?

Float Shallower,
    Joe
    Cm

2. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

some assembly required batteries not included intended for ages 3 and up. :D ;D

3. aaronshore

aaronshore Well-Known Member

Just out of curiousity, how smooth is the transition between the sections when assembled?

4. beavis

beavis Well-Known Member

And to add to the questions. What locks the pieces together and how well does it hold? For instance if you stuck in some deep muck and go to pull it out, am I going to lose the foot or the bottom piece?

5. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

So you're selling the TFO pushpole kit?

6. JoeWelbourn

Thank you for the questions.

1.  The transition is pretty smooth.  I would give it a 8 on a 1 to 10 scale: 10 would be perfect.  You can feel it but it is not abrasive or bothersome.  When I assemble each section, I compress the 2 sections together to minimize the transition.  It is not perfect but I estimate the difference to be a few thousandths of an inch.  As I assemble more, my goal is to have the transition perfectly filled and smooth to the touch.  Might require some light sanding and a secondary coat of epoxy.

2. I use a marine grade commercial epoxy with a cut-fiber filler to make the epoxy into a paste.  That helps to create a very tight fit between the 12 inch ferrules and the sections.  The epoxy I use is rated at 5700 lbs per square inch in tensile strength.  I sand both piece before assemble to maximize the bond (it is called keying).  Rough surfaces bond better since epoxy will not fully and "chemically cross" link after a piece has cured 100%.   The feet and tip have to be pressed in with some force.  I use epoxy on those connections too.  They will not slip out.  Bottomline, it is very strong.

3. Yes, TFO distributes the kits but prefers to call the push poles by the brand Mangrove Push Poles.  I order the kits and assemble each kit, hence the $20 difference in price.  From what I have been told very few retailers (stores or online) assemble the sections then sell the units.  Most are sold in the bag and the customer is faced with trying to assemble it.

I was also told alot of people are using 3M 5200 to assemble the sections.  I do not think that is a good idea when you can use epoxy instead. Epoxy is much stronger and a nicer finish.

Lastly,  I plan to stock extra ferrules in the event a push pole gets broken.  The best part is the ferrules are machined for a perfect fit in the event someone manages to break one.  You know night time and a stranger walks around the boat and snap---seen that before.

Great questions.  Hopefully that answers the questions.  Keep the questions coming.  

Float Shallower,
    Joe
    Cm

7. iMacattack

Not to derail, but the system that Joe uses to mate the poles is the same basic system I use to repair push poles. It works very well and makes a very stout product. The ferrels that Joe is using are actually longer than the ones I use.

I use a Ferrel kit supplied by 'the other push pole company' purchased through a 'well respected forum member'. ;D When properly prepared it makes that section of the push pole stronger than the rest.

The transition from section to section is nearly impossible to find. Twice my customers have had to spend several minutes trying to find where I joined their push pole back together.

When done properly it should take about 48 hours to mate a push pole to perfection. And that's what I shoot for. The biggest place people get into trouble is rushing the process and like Joe mentioned using improper adhesives. You want the sections to properly cure before you start to handle the push pole.

Joe you are not charging enough... $20.00!!! ;D

Shameless personal shill, but if you break your pole and live within 40 miles of Ft. Lauderdale I offer a pick up and delivery service to repair your pole. ;) Gonna cost ya a bit more than $20 though... ;D

Cheers
    Capt. Jan

8. aaronshore

When you do your testing are you planning just doing your normal everyday poling or will you try to push the limits of the pole. I would like to hear how that pole works when you have to use all your weight to push your boat across mud for a 1/4 mile. IMHO if you can do that I would be impressed. And I only use that as a reference because I have had to do that several times in the lagoon on my buddys Waterman.

9. aaronshore

SHILL SHILL.....wheres a mod when you need one? Oh, wait... [smiley=1-lmao.gif]

10. iMacattack

all those f'in mods are useless!

11. aaronshore

Not all. Just you and Tom......oh wait. [smiley=1-laugh.gif]

12. iMacattack

[smiley=no_derail.png]

let's get back on subject... ;)

13. JoeWelbourn

Thanks for the feedback Jan.  Wait, you only got part of the deal.  $20 to assemble a new pole (clean, uniform and assembled on my schedule) that I am selling.  To repair a broken pole is a fish of a different fin.  So, it won't be $20 if I have to drive all over hell and damnation to repait a used pole.  Just a heads up.

The work is in the preparation.  

As for the testing, I will do as you asked---as will ApolloBeachSam. Again this is not the Bionic Push Pole----it is $300 and if it pushes me around on an average day, sign me up.

For the record:

Shill: –noun

1. a person who poses as a customer in order to decoy others into participating, as at a gambling house, auction, confidence game, etc.  
    2. a person who publicizes or praises something or someone for reasons of self-interest, personal profit, or friendship or loyalty.  See Joe Welbourn.  ;)

Joe
    Cm

14. iMacattack

Hey JoeShilla! ;D I can hear it now... frightened oriental folks look up in the sky and scream... "oh no it JoeShilla!!!!" [smiley=1-beer-german.gif] [smiley=1-biggrin.gif]

$20.00 to assemble a push pole... Dude! Your CHEEP! Might sub you out for my repair work... [smiley=1-biggrin.gif] I'll cut and clean the ends... you just have to assemble..

Seriously though folks, when prepped and assembled you have nothing to fear with a multi section pole.

Cheers

15. aaronshore

Good to hear Joe. I understand its not bionic by all means but it would be nice to hear how the pole functions under those conditions. Keep up the good work.

16. thresher

thresher Well-Known Member

Hey Joe - let me know when a pole makes its way to this coast and I will wet test it for ya. I am very curious as to how this pole performs and I will give you the opinion that matters most - the guy who is always stuck in the back of the boat! :)

17. Gramps

Gramps Living & Dying in 3/4 Time

Hey keep one of those in stock for me! Once I find the right boat (hopefully damn soon!) I'll need one of those bad boys.

Btw: Where are you in "South Tampa"? I'm down in Apollo Beach.

18. JoeWelbourn

My shop is in Drew Park close to Tampa International Airport off Cayuga. The address is 4712 N. Clark Ave, Tampa, FL. Call before you drive over since I am not always there during the day if I worked all night the night before.

Float Shallower,
    Joe
    Cm

19. Slimtonone

Slimtonone Well-Known Member

Joe,
    How's the testing going?  Kevin is saying around 5 weeks until my Caimen is ready and the first accessory purchase is a new Pole.

Matt

20. Garry

Garry Well-Known Member

I just picked up my pole and platform from Joe last night, and I love this push pole!  It's light and it's got a nice grip to it!  I love it!

[​IMG]

Thanks again Joe!