Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boat is HPX-T with 70 Yamaha 4 stroke. Has a cougar cav plate. I talked to Jack forman
last week and ordered his hole shot prop. Boat goes to Bob's Machine next Monday for
jack plate install. I know some of you run this combo and am hoping you can save me some
work by giving me your best set-up. What holes for jack plate to boat and motor to jack plate.
Also how are you activating the jack plate and where did you mount the control switch. In
your experience will I need some type of low water pick up. Which type. New to forum,
thanks in advance.

·
Banned
12,342 Posts
Mount it where the bottom of the skeg is even with the bottom of the hull when trimmed flat and jacked all the way up. Run it without a low water pickup before installing one, you may not have the juevos to run the motor high enough to really need one. These hulls (I have the same hull) run stupid skinny without a low water pickup.
82BFD40E-8A03-4B7F-BD5E-1209C3871D93.jpeg 3692C980-22ED-420A-883B-2F7589B379E3.jpeg

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mount it where the bottom of the skeg is even with the bottom of the hull when trimmed flat and jacked all the way up. Run it without a low water pickup before installing one, you may not have the juevos to run the motor high enough to really need one. These hulls (I have the same hull) run stupid skinny without a low water pickup.
View attachment 104504 View attachment 104506

·
Registered
975 Posts
I'd guess your console and wheel are set up like Mac's, but just in case they aren't............ I have the blinker switch for my jack plate on the left side of the wheel on my little side console. Never had a trip yet where people weren't hitting it and running the jack plate up or down. The boat's in the shop now for a new tach, and I told them to remove the blinker switch and put a second trim switch on the throttle handle.

·
Banned
276 Posts
I'd guess your console and wheel are set up like Mac's, but just in case they aren't............ I have the blinker switch for my jack plate on the left side of the wheel on my little side console. Never had a trip yet where people weren't hitting it and running the jack plate up or down. The boat's in the shop now for a new tach, and I told them to remove the blinker switch and put a second trim switch on the throttle handle.

Have them change the angle. Depending if you have U-flex or SeaStar gear, the trim switch doesn't have to be located at 9 or 3.

·
Banned
12,342 Posts
Have them change the angle. Depending if you have U-flex or SeaStar gear, the trim switch doesn't have to be located at 9 or 3.
It’s easy to change orientation yourself, remove steering wheel and there are three machine screws that mount the blinker switch to the helm. It has multiple holes to index where you want it. Point it to 10-11 o’clock

·
Administrator
5,909 Posts
I have a ProTrim blinker switch on the left side of helm. That’s a hell of a lot better than a push button. $70
You can’t beat being able to steer and move jackplate with one hand so the other can be operating the throttle and trim.
or holding a beer...

·
Registered
975 Posts
Actually, I was going to just shorten the stalk. I wasn't aware that the throttle grip was set up for two switches; when that was pointed out to me I ordered another switch; I like that setup.

·
Banned
12,342 Posts
Actually, I was going to just shorten the stalk. I wasn't aware that the throttle grip was set up for two switches; when that was pointed out to me I ordered another switch; I like that setup.
I’ve seen those, that’s not an option on a 2000 Yamaha binnacle :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I’ve seen those, that’s not an option on a 2000 Yamaha binnacle :D
My boat has tilt steering is that a issue. I had a 1990 18 Master angler with the controls on the throttle stick. Seemed to work well for the 15 years I had it. Just wanting to do it the best
way. Thanks for al the info.

·
Banned
12,342 Posts
My boat has tilt steering is that a issue. I had a 1990 18 Master angler with the controls on the throttle stick. Seemed to work well for the 15 years I had it. Just wanting to do it the best
way. Thanks for al the info.
Look up ProTrim and see what it’s compatibility is. It should be fine, they have universal holes on the mounting plate.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Does the ProTrim working with any jack plate? I have the Atlas Micro and I am looking at moving for an easier way to adjust/control.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
got Bob's jp and Foremans prop on boat. Skeg is about 11/2 inch below bottom of
boat with motor all the way up. Put in lake did short test run. Much better. I will have to work on settings to get it maxed out. Had 25-30 psi @ 3.5 inch on jp. Presure started to drop any
higher. I guess if its still peaing its OK? Ran 32mph loaded with two on board. How high up are you all leaving on jp?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts