Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Need Spinning reel recommendations

7K views 23 replies 21 participants last post by  DuckNut 
#1 ·
I am looking for a new spinning reel. I am not up to date on all the options.
This will serve as a little bigger rod for my kids; I will use it some but not much.
I have a Van Staal VSB 100 on the rod now and want to sell it. The rod is a custom Loomis rod in the 12-20 class. I never use it so I want to replace the reel with something lighter and cheaper. I know that Quantum and Shimano have good options. I am looking at something pretty light with about 200 yds of 30 lbs braid capacity.

Thx
Mike

#3 ·
I purchased several new Penn Spinfisher V reels in various sizes when I got back in to saltwater fishing about a year ago. I wish I had done a little more research and spent some more time trying them out beforehand. The Penns are certainly not bad reels but they were never nearly as smooth or precise feeling as my older Shimano or Daiwa freshwater reels. I just recently picked up a couple Daiwa BG-2500s and the difference is like night and day. Makes me want to replace all the Spinfishers in my arsenal now...

#6 ·
Been "reel" happy with my Ospreys. They make a 5000 size too if you want something larger to fish 30 lb braid. I fish 10 pound on my Osprey 2500 and 3000s. They hold a lot of 10 lb (too much). I fill a tone with mono and top shot them. Get great drag out of them (make a nice outgoing sound too) and buttery smooth.

#14 ·
I have a Penn Fierce 3000 and love it. It caught my biggest fish ever, 48in Bull Red with 30lb braid. Inexpensive and durable as all get out. Have a guide buddy and these are the reels he uses for client rods as well.

Reactions: 25028
#15 ·
Thx guys
The 200 yds of 30 lbs is for reference. That a
Same reel will hold about 240 or so of 20 lbs.
If the BG will work for about $100 that is great. For that little money I will probably go ahead and try one. The Sustain is about $300 and the Quantum Smoke (I already have a 30) is about $180.
All the Penns I have used feel clunky when compared to the other options, but I do not know about their newer offerings.

Mike

#19 ·
The Daiwa BG isn't particularly light but it is a quality reel especially for the money.

I am a huge fan of the Cabo 40 which is another somewhat heavy reel but it is built to handle about as big of a fish as any near/inshore species can throw at it. Most rods will buckle before this reel gives in and it's design is impressive. SRMO carries them for $150.

#24 ·
The Daiwa BG isn't particularly light but it is a quality reel especially for the money.

I am a huge fan of the Cabo 40 which is another somewhat heavy reel but it is built to handle about as big of a fish as any near/inshore species can throw at it. Most rods will buckle before this reel gives in and it's design is impressive. SRMO carries them for $150.
Who is SRMO?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.