Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 17 foot skiff with a 2005 Yamaha 2 stroke. I've taken good care of this outboard, kept up with maintenance, and replaced parts when needed. Outboard runs pretty well currently, but is showing a little age now--even with new water pump it doesn't shoot water super strong like it did a few years ago. Fires right up each time, but will every now and again choke out when I leave it idling at the dock for a while, or just idle weak like it's threatening to cut out.
I'm not up for moving on and repowering with a 4 stroke though. The current outboard pairs perfectly with my boat. It cruises in the low 20s and tops out at 35mph, which is plenty for me. The main thing is that it weight 100lbs less than a 4 stroke. Plus I think that I'd really miss the sound and smell of a 2 stroke.
So, what I'd really like to do is to find someone or a shop who specializes in rebuilding 2 stroke outboards, and spend some money getting my current outboard back into good shape--tearing it down, cleaning what can be cleaned replacing what needs replacing. Then new paint on the cowling and new vinyl.
Anyone know of someone who does this--hopefully located within a few hundred miles of Charleston, SC? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
I have a 17 foot skiff with a 2005 Yamaha 2 stroke. I've taken good care of this outboard, kept up with maintenance, and replaced parts when needed. Outboard runs pretty well currently, but is showing a little age now--even with new water pump it doesn't shoot water super strong like it did a few years ago. Fires right up each time, but will every now and again choke out when I leave it idling at the dock for a while, or just idle weak like it's threatening to cut out.
I'm not up for moving on and repowering with a 4 stroke though. The current outboard pairs perfectly with my boat. It cruises in the low 20s and tops out at 35mph, which is plenty for me. The main thing is that it weight 100lbs less than a 4 stroke. Plus I think that I'd really miss the sound and smell of a 2 stroke.
So, what I'd really like to do is to find someone or a shop who specializes in rebuilding 2 stroke outboards, and spend some money getting my current outboard back into good shape--tearing it down, cleaning what can be cleaned replacing what needs replacing. Then new paint on the cowling and new vinyl.
Anyone know of someone who does this--hopefully located within a few hundred miles of Charleston, SC? Thanks guys.
Compression test showed what?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts