Need prop rec for 16 Waterman, Tohatsu 50, 4 stroke.

Discussion in 'Prop Shop' started by kbkeys1, Dec 25, 2014.

1. kbkeys1

kbkeys1 I Love microskiff.com!

Happy holidays! Started new motor with PT 3 blade, 10.25, 13 pitch. Blowing out on turns. Anyone have a recommendation?

2. Snookdaddy

Snookdaddy Well-Known Member

Merry Christmas...

Call Powertech and tell them your issues.. They will suggest a cupped version that will not blow out on turns. Personally, I would stick with a 3 blade on such a light skiff.. You just need some cup to bite on turns..

3. DrG

DrG I Love microskiff.com!

I had the same issue with blowout with my 2000 Whipray powered by a Tohatsu 50 TLDI tiller using a PT REB3 13" pitch. I sent it to Ken at Prop Gods. For under $100 he had the blade tips slightly cupped. I lost no noticeable top end, but now it stays hooked up, always (including when it's jacked up and running skinny). Give Ken a shout out at KR@propgods.com or 941-735-5808. Ken has always satisfied my prop requests and as a result I will always do my prop business with him. FWIW, he strongly recommended against the heavily cupped 4-blader that PT recommended to me due to the loss of fuel efficiency and top end.

4. kbkeys1

Thanks daddy and crushed, Merry Christmas, will be on the horn tomw with PT.

5. kbkeys1

Marcus at Powertech conjured up a SWC3 blade 14 pitch , cupped, that is awesome. Great hole shot, no blowout, top end faster than the TLDI. Good folks there.

6. DrG

DrG I Love microskiff.com!

Excellent outcome!

7. How's is the performance with that new 50 tohatsu 4 stroke?

What kind of top end speed are you getting and fuel burn?

8. kbkeys1

Just an fyi: my waterman has a tunnel. With full tank, my 180lbs, my gear, 31.7 knots at 5800. I'm not seeing any real different fuel consumption than the TLDI 50.