Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Need new soft cooler

5034 Views 51 Replies 36 Participants Last post by  TravHale
so the rtic 30 finally took a dump after 3 years. Had the lid seam separate from the zipper. Is the yeti flip 18 worth the extra 200 bones?or should i just spend another $100 on rtic
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

· Registered
375 Posts
I have used this brand for a few years now. The first one I had, had a warranty issue (leaking) I sent it back and they repaired / replaced it. You can find them lots of places now, several of the large retailers have picked them up, most notably Amazon.

www.aocoolers.com

· Super Moderator
4,306 Posts
Have owned two RTIC cube soft coolers. The top started pitting on the first and company replaced it finally. The zipper separated on the second in about a year and even my upholstery guy didn't want to repair it. Tried a Academy Magellan (looks like the same Chinese maker as RTIC), but returned it after one trip because I was afraid the zipper was going to fail again. The Polar Bear soft satchel coolers are decent but the prices have gone up considerably in the last couple years.

Considered the Engel soft version but went with a 25-quart roto Engel instead. A little heavier than the soft, but I won't have to worry about it falling apart anytime soon. You can buy Engels direct for $149 or through eBay vendors for as low as $120.

· Registered
441 Posts
I had an RTIC bag and had the same thing happen.

I have also had the engel bag and it is complete junk. I have kept out of elements in my garage etc and 3 or 4 of the holding straps have broken on it (only 2 years old).

I don't have a yeti bag but i do think their bags are better (hard cooler I would go with RTIC). If it were me I would get the Walmart Ozark Trail soft sided bag for $30-50 instead of $300 bag..

· Registered
4,449 Posts
Had good luck with my rtic30. Used it almost every day for 3 years. Just bought the little rtic 8 as well. For the price it's decent quality. The yeti is more than double the price. Wonder if it would last twice as long.

· Registered
443 Posts
I have used this brand for a few years now. The first one I had, had a warranty issue (leaking) I sent it back and they repaired / replaced it. You can find them lots of places now, several of the large retailers have picked them up, most notably Amazon.

www.aocoolers.com
I purchased an AO a couple months ago and am happy with it so far. Especially for the price. I needed one that had a little more flex than some of the others so that it would squish some under the hatch of my kayak and the hatch on my boat, and be able to squeeze through a smaller hatch. Holds ice and stays much better than my old hard sides.

Reactions: BudT

· Registered
245 Posts

· Super Moderator
4,306 Posts
Like Yeti and others copied after Engel introduced the rotomolded hard coolers, AO, Bison and others have followed Polar Bear's lead.

I've owned several PBs, but the prices have gone up lately. They do a holiday sales promotion with 2 for 1 that is really a great deal though, especially if you're looking for handy gift ideas.

· Registered
311 Posts

www.aocoolers.com
I’ve used an AO soft cooler for 5 years now...keeps the cold as long as any Yeti.

· Registered
635 Posts
so the rtic 30 finally took a dump after 3 years. Had the lid seam separate from the zipper. Is the yeti flip 18 worth the extra 200 bones?or should i just spend another $100 on rtic
so a $100 cooler got you 3 years and the Yeti is $200 more. Same $200 gets you 6 years or 2 more rtic coolers. A bit too much for a cooler in my opinion.

I have 2 of these and it can hold a bag of ice and 2 slot red fish cold all day in a hatch.

· Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
so a $100 cooler got you 3 years and the Yeti is $200 more. Same $200 gets you 6 years or 2 more rtic coolers. A bit too much for a cooler in my opinion.

I have 2 of these and it can hold a bag of ice and 2 slot red fish cold all day in a hatch.

Yea thats what im thinking too, another rtic may be or the yeti...

· Registered
2005 East Cape Gladesman. 2005 Panga Marine 22.
6,513 Posts
Ya get what you pay for. Yeti is hands down the best. They back up their products as good or better than any company
Agreed I sent back the original Hooper whenever the zipper broke didn't have a receipt and they sent me a new one no question asked with a return box for the broken one. Plus I got the second gen hopper. I also have a 20 rtic that the whole seam on the top is coming unglued I haven't contacted them yet but don't hold much hope as I read this thread go with the yeti.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.