Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am taking delivery next week on a new 1652 G3. Prior to the dealer installing the factory vinyl covered aluminum floor and foam, I figured I would have them pre-install a couple wires underneath the floor from the bow to the back of the boat. What gauge wires should I have them pre-install for the following electronics, navigation lights, and fish finder? The boat will be setup for fly fishing with a tiller extension and grab bar, 40/30 jet for river fishing. I will have trolling motor (w/mega down imaging), dedicated lithium batteries, and onboard charger I plan to install in the bow. Any help with suggested # of wires and guage thickness I should tell the dealer to run? Was thinking 2X12 gauge and 2X8 guuge wires. Any thoughts are appreciated.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Rectangle Font Parallel Technology Screenshot

Reactions: Wolftaco and mro

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
According to Minn Kota I could use 8awg, but I prefer 6awg for my 24V trolling motor.

·
Carpe Diem
1,912 Posts
Rather than (or in addition to) having the dealer install wires, would it be possible for him to install a PVC pipe (or two) to use as wire run? All sorts of devices that are never thought of initially need wiring.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
195 Posts
Rather than (or in addition to) having the dealer install wires, would it be possible for him to install a PVC pipe (or two) to use as wire run? All sorts of devices that are never thought of initially need wiring.
This is the best option.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Exactly. Makes it so much easier when you have to change it all out, or run additional wires for other items like LEDs.

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,575 Posts
For switches, lights, gps, depth finder 14-16 gauge tinned copper. TM 8-6 gauge. Get your own wire and PVC and put it in

Reactions: Sublime

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
The advice to install a rigging tube is on the money ( and make sure it’s a bit bigger than you think you need - you can thank me later…).
For the three items you mentioned #14 tinned copper primary, 16ga wire to each appliance.

For that trolling motor - follow the manufacturer’s recommendations precisely…

1 - 9 of 9 Posts