Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Might seem like the wrong location for this but Im a fly guy who gives in to bait fishing when the kiddos are aboard. Lately I can't get a bite and need some advice. The usual go to is live shrimp under popping cork along the edges of the ICW. Lately though we been getting out in the afternoon and the bait shop only has fiddlers or mud minnows left. Whats the best way to fish these with kids? I like the corks so they have something to see but it a'int seem to be working too well. Should I just keep trying new spots until it clicks? Thanks boys

·
Premium Member
1,674 Posts
You could tie on one of your flies, add a split shot about 6 to 12 inches in front of the fly and then at what ever depth under the bobber. Then they could be taught to "pick up (the rod tip)" and then "reel down".

If they can't cast then I'd stick with bait and as noted above they will get a kick out of you catching your own bait. If you haven't thrown a net then I'd recommend getting an 8 ft'er for your first net. Take it out and practice on a lawn. I watched a guy throw a few times and in just a few minutes I could throw good enough that I finished learning catching bait.

You can also tie on some size 14 bait hooks under a bobber and use frozen shrimp for pin fish so they can catch their own bait :) Just about everything will eat a little pin fish.......

Helping kids fish is almost as much fun as I had fishing with dad.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,254 Posts
Put a mud minnow on a 1/8th oz jig head and toss him into the same area you are floating the popping cork. That way you can fish more of the water column.

Around here we call them creek chubs and they are a favorite bait for redfish when I take my daughter out.

·
Fly-By-Night
3,138 Posts
Gulp shrimp in chartreuse/new penny under a Cajun Thunder.

You best just go out of town to buy them or order over the internet, because if your fly buddies see you with that you'll be disowned lmao. jk have fun.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Put a mud minnow on a 1/8th oz jig head and toss him into the same area you are floating the popping cork. That way you can fish more of the water column.

Around here we call them creek chubs and they are a favorite bait for redfish when I take my daughter out.
Gulp shrimp in chartreuse/new penny under a Cajun Thunder.

You best just go out of town to buy them or order over the internet, because if your fly buddies see you with that you'll be disowned lmao. jk have fun.
Both of these are spot on!
Another thought is buy a block of chum, put in chum bag behind the boat, wait 30 mins and there will be enough fish behind the boat to keep the kids happy for a while. I always let my kids catch the bait/pinfish because it kept them busy and happy!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Try cutting up some gulps and puttting them on small gold hooks while drifting any grass flat. youll catch pinfish that way and have plenty of bait. there's a good video on youtube! blessings.....ps i ended up buying buying a everladesz this weekend!

·
Registered
189 Posts
learn to catch bait its almost as fun as fishing, plus the kids love to play with them in the livewell. dip net and some bait in the well and you can fish all day and the kids got toys to play with
I have found this to be true; my kids love catching bait and playing with it.
We usually use a Gulp Shrimp under a popping cork if the water is dirty, and/or use the bait we catch.

Mike

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the tips. Seems like the water around the St Johns and ICW has been real muddy. Must be the dredging project?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Best thing I ever had on board when the kids were small was a bucket of rocks,make sure you've got plenty of flat ones for skipping. Doesn't do much for the catching on slow days but sure does keep the whining down and you on the water longer.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Definitely the dredging. I was in Mill Cove last week and couldn’t even see my TM head a foot deep. I live in Mandarin so I fish Palm Valley unless I have the time to travel out towards Nassau Sound. The water is usually always cleaner and I know the area better (Nassau/ Ft George).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts