Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help from you pros as I’m an electrical newbie. I need to wire this auto bilge pump View media item 4934 directly to this battery View media item 4936. I found an in-line marine fuse on amazon but I have no idea what else specifically to get and what sizes. Trying to keep it simple and easy to use without having to buy 100 piece sets of random connectors. There also won’t be a switch.

·
Banned
276 Posts
If there will be no switch, you will only be using the float-switch feature of the pump. Only two wires will be used. The black is ground and goes to the negative post on the battery. One of the brown wires (you'll need to look in the instructions to see which one is for the float) goes to your inline fuse and then to the positive terminal in the battery. The fuse size will also be posted on the pump package.

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,062 Posts
It depends on how long the wire on your BP is. If the battery is far from it then you'll need to splice more wire. Use shrink connecters then coat it with liquid tape. You dont want salt water to get in

·
Brandon, FL
10,927 Posts
If there will be no switch, you will only be using the float-switch feature of the pump. Only two wires will be used. The black is ground and goes to the negative post on the battery. One of the brown wires (you'll need to look in the instructions to see which one is for the float) goes to your inline fuse and then to the positive terminal in the battery. The fuse size will also be posted on the pump package.
The brown one is used. The brown/white is not used.

·
Brandon, FL
10,927 Posts
Just curious if it’s safe to have my starting battery in the back hatch by my gas tank?
Just imaging what one spark may do...then you make the decision. After all it is your life and your passengers life.

Now that you asked the question and don't do anything about it, you would be grossly negligent if you do nothing and there becomes an issue.

·
Banned
276 Posts
Just imaging what one spark may do...then you make the decision. After all it is your life and your passengers life.

Now that you asked the question and don't do anything about it, you would be grossly negligent if you do nothing and there becomes an issue.
Fuel vapors are heavier than air and remain inside compartments. If it was a sealed tank, no worries. If it's a portable...

The fuel system was next to electrical components.

·
Banned
276 Posts
Where does everyone put trolling batteries and chargers? Up front? Are most fuel tanks up front?
They do, I do, etc. Issue is when it's a portable tank...then, I don't. A permanent tank vents outside of the space. A portable vents within, hence the issue. There is verbiage somewhere about where portable tanks are allowed to be placed. It must be a ventilated area.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don’t know if you have much of an option on a gheenoe LT 10? It’s one hatch for all any tips on how to situate it in light of that?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts