Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned a 13' Gheenoe for 30 years and love it....for what it is. But as a XXL 65 year old, it is not a stable platform for the kind of fishing I want to do. We have a place at a south Brunswick Co. beach, and I will be fishing local rivers and creeks, but have to access those places via the ICW. So I bought an older 1542 jon boat w/25 hp last year, and it was a huge improvement, but still a not as stable as I'd like (going from stern to bow to deploy trolling motor) and it drafts about 12" with motor up (heavy welded hull with 3 batteries and gear and my 280 lbs. I've been looking for a larger welded hull jon, but not much success, or at least at reasonable used prices. So, I started looking for a microskiff. I realize I will be losing some functionality as this will be a fishing boat only.

I found locally a 2000 Pathfinder 15T with the original Yamaha 40 2 stroke on the transom. I will be taking it for a test on Thursday. I have done the research and am aware that these boats have potential stringer/de-lamination problems. This boat has had the stringers replaced about 8 years ago, and the deck is rock solid. So not so concerned with that issue. The motor seems to run well, and cylinders check out at 105/105/100 psi. Comes equipped with almost new MK Riptide 55 lb. remote trolling motor (not iPilot), almost new Simrad 7" GPS/sounder; Power Pole (smaller version); stern poling platform which I will not be using; and 15' push pole. Current owner is 2nd owner, and seems very honest and open about the pluses and minuses of the rig. Seems to be pretty much turnkey, and is priced at about the same price as most of the jon boats I have been looking at.

I guess my questions are these: 1) other than the stringer issue, is there anything else I need to know about the 15T? 2) Will this boat do OK in a 1' chop? Will it handle rougher water at slower speed should I get caught out in a sudden storm? I realize it will be a wet ride, but I will be picking my days. Any other advise would be appreciated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And another question. Will this boat be a stable platform for a 65 yo fat man, particularly standing and fishing from the bow and stern decks.

·
Carpe Diem
1,758 Posts
I owned a 17T, and while it was a great, shallow running skiff in flat water, it would beat you to death in any kind of chop. It was wet, and with side console and a size XXL skipper, I'd imagine you'd need lots of trim tab or ballast to run level. The 15T would probably not be much more stable than a 1542 jon. If you want a more stable skiff that will be drier and handle chop better, take a look at a SeaArk 1650 or something equivalent.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I owned a 17T, and while it was a great, shallow running skiff in flat water, it would beat you to death in any kind of chop. It was wet, and with side console and a size XXL skipper, I'd imagine you'd need lots of trim tab or ballast to run level. The 15T would probably not be much more stable than a 1542 jon. If you want a more stable skiff that will be drier and handle chop better, take a look at a SeaArk 1650 or something equivalent.
That was my original thought, but I have been trying to find a decent welded hull for several weeks. It seems the only decent boats available right now are the high end high dollar bigger boats. I thought I had found my boat yesterday (1652 G3) but after I had driven 1.5 hours to inspect it, I quickly observed where owner had 2 Power Poles, one one each side of the motor, and had removed them and plugged the holes with bolts/washers. They were already rusted and not properly sealed with 5200 or any other sealant. Transom problems waiting to happen. After a 5 minute inspection I walked. On the way home I passed a Pathfinder 17T on the side of the road and checked it out. Liked the design and the shallow profile. Found the 15T on a boating website and called to do a quick inspection.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Trying to figure out how to link an entire thread into my comment from my phone but I posted a similar question about 3 months ago after almost purchasing a 15t and got some really good advice. I ended up doing a lot of research and wet tests but didn’t pull the trigger. I think I know of the 15t you are looking at, it looks really sharp and is priced better than most.

Search “Pathfinder 15t and 17t” on here and you should see my thread

·
Registered
144 Posts
IMO it is almost always going to be worth going to a 17t over a 15t even with a slight price increase. The extra 2ft isnt just more room in the boat but will handle chop and span waves better as well as increasing stability while not increasing draft. I am in Ocala and have a 17t on hand if you ever wanted to water test. Other than possibly having a garage length restriction I cant imagine a scenerio where someone would get a 17 and say " man I wish I got the smaller version " .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts