Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m wanting to get a rod made for my pops because he doesn’t have a 9wt and wanting something little more then just standard off the self. He always reaches for my GLX and time he’s on the bow. Wanting recommendations for blanks with similar action and taper.

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,387 Posts
So are you wanting to just buy a built rod or are you trying to make one for him?

Use to be able to buy the GLX blank. Today, they are referred to as the Classic GLX.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Way back when GLoomis sold out to Shimano... we lost the ability to buy blanks from them... (and I built my early graphite rods on LCI -maybe Gary's first company?) and then GLoomis blanks after LCI (Loomis Composites Inc) disappeared.

If we're now able to buy blanks again from them I'd sure like to hear about it. In recent years I've been using Rainshadow for almost all of the spinning rods needed for my skiff. I had to quit building fly rods for guiding since I simply can't build another one quick enough for the breakage a guiding operation generates... Much better for my purposes to use finished fly rods with great warranty service (without costing an arm and a leg...).

Not certain at all how Thomas & Thomas blanks compare to the old GLoomis stuff - but I really liked the last two Horizon blanks I built up from them (into a 10 and a 12wt...) years ago. I was very surprised to learn that they'd be able to replace a tip section (blank) for a 12wt I built almost 25 years ago today.... Not many outfits around have that capability... or customer support.

·
Banned
12,342 Posts
I love my old 2 piece GLX’s. I have not been able to find anything like them.
Take a look at North Fork Composites or Edge fly rods.
Can’t get a damn reply from them and I have been buying blanks from them for a couple of years. I’m the guy that may be building this rod for his father. I have blanks on order already and can’t even get a reply about when they will be shipped much less speak with anyone like I used to. It’s very strange.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
I've had several emails with "special sales" from North Fork...and I've never done any business with them at all... and all of their blanks at nose bleed prices "on sale"....

·
Registered
91 Posts
I miss being able to buy Scoot and Loomis blanks. Sage would be stiff, so I believe you are left with Thomas, as Bob noted.

I have no experience with Rainshadow or Orvis (I do not think they do blanks anymore)..

I have built many fiberglass, plus a couple of St Croix, Winston, others. I am not as aware as Winston new blanks, but I do like their BL5. The BL5 is a rod that is more relax than the GLX, so Thomas is a closer match.

·
Banned
12,342 Posts
I've had several emails with "special sales" from North Fork...and I've never done any business with them at all... and all of their blanks at nose bleed prices "on sale"....
I have a bunch and just ordered more for $32 a blank. How is that “nose bleed”? They are the straightest and toughest blanks I’ve built on for their weight. I am pretty stocked up now...just need to find time to build!

·
Registered
356 Posts
i have been switching all my rods out to the echo epr series. I just really like them. They remind me of a cross of the cc glx with nrx... i fished the cc glx for years and i was so surprised how similar they are... maybe the brothers are designing together :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts