Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just pulled the trigger on a Yamaha 90sho, just wondering what SS prop I should go with. Definitely going to stick with a three blade, but what diameter/pitch should I go with? Hull weighs about 800lbs I think(she’s no light weight lol). Really looking for good all around performance. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
4,551 Posts
Reactions: Weck68w

·
Registered
98’ Whipray
334 Posts
Just pulled the trigger on a Yamaha 90sho, just wondering what SS prop I should go with. Definitely going to stick with a three blade, but what diameter/pitch should I go with? Hull weighs about 800lbs I think(she’s no light weight lol). Really looking for good all around performance. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
What was on it before?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What was on it before?
I had a Yamaha 90hp two stroke. I have contacted Powertech and had a few conversations with the dealers mechanics. I guess the hang up is that the old motor was geared 2:1 and the new one is 2.3:1. All recommendations have been to start with a 17 pitch. I though that was a bit high... or low... however it goes, it just sounded off. The old prop was a 14 pitch?

·
Registered
'04 HB Devilray Merc 25 HP
1,047 Posts
By rough calcs you need a 16 with the new casing. Depending on the 17 Rake you might be right on! You won't know till you have a starting point.

·
Registered
211 Posts
PJ,

my old SK 16’ with a 2 stroke 90hp was spinning a Mercury lazer II 20p prop to full rpm with ease, and was under propped if the boat was light. Considering the new LU has a 2.3:1 gear ratio it should spin something similar. I’d think a 17-19p three blade would be ballpark. Unless you are talking about something hard to turn like a heavy cup 4 blade with big blade area.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts