Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I am new here and looking for anyone who has experience with the Scott (Abitibi & co) 16’ deep duck boats. The mold is virtually the same as a Towee, but the transom is not straight across like the Towee. I am in Maine, and have found a brand new one with new 15hp and trailer for a fraction of the price of a Towee.

I checked the boat out, and there are some things I am hesitant about. The finish is basically the same as an Old Town canoe, think Royalex material. Also, the gunwales are somewhat flexible at the top, until about half way down the freeboard, where you can feel some sort of composite filling.

All I can see from the manufacturer in Canada is that the boat is rated for 1200lbs and has a weight of 210. If anyone has experience with this boat please let me know as I am trying to decide if it would be a good purchase. The boat, motor, and ezloader trailer are pictured below.

Thanks.

6DD491F9-E9D1-4C06-9CB1-A0F5CFA2DD09.jpeg
5F3EF33C-5A6A-4C58-9A20-3D6DD2C78C47.jpeg

·
Brandon, FL
10,420 Posts
What are you hoping to find?

It is a skiff that was either an original design or a copy of another. The stuff half way down is the positive flotation foam and yes it will stiffen the hull whwer it is at.

From your pic it does not look like a plastic hull, it looks like a mold built chopper gun built hull snd yhen the inside painted gray.

If it was plastic and I was going to use it for duck hunting, I would pass.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What are you hoping to find?

It is a skiff that was either an original design or a copy of another. The stuff half way down is the positive flotation foam and yes it will stiffen the hull whwer it is at.

From your pic it does not look like a plastic hull, it looks like a mold built chopper gun built hull snd yhen the inside painted gray.

If it was plastic and I was going to use it for duck hunting, I would pass.
Thanks, it is definitely glass on the inside painted over, but the outside felt like plastic, but I am also not an expert by any means. The manufacturer says “Fiberglass” as the only description of materials.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
most manufacturers are happy to answer questions if you call them.
After calling the manufacturer in Quebec, I am told it is indeed all fiberglass with a Matte gel coat finish. I was just surprised at how thing the upper gunwales felt once you got past the positive flotation. It almost felt flimsy but I guess that is why they are 210 lbs. Only other information I received is that they have a 5 year manufacturer warranty.

·
Brandon, FL
10,420 Posts
There is nothing wrong with that. The entire Gheenoe is like this and it is highly successful.

Since it is all glass got for it. It will suit you well. Just don't use it as a battering ram on ice.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
257 Posts
It’s a Scott Duck Boat. I have one, used it for over 4 years, quite tough. It’s light, stable and easy to power. This is the original hull that Towee based their skiff on, but they upgraded their layup and core and over time and changed the interior layout a bit. It’s a simple low cost hull, with a unique bottom shape that makes it quite stable, nothing more. I use mine to duck hunt and fly fish and given where I go, I’m not wasting money on a higher end poling skiff, it will just get torn up or I would never take it a lot of places because of worry that I’ll damage it. These boats have been used by guides in Canada for years. Scott makes probably 2 dozen different canoes as well, and you’ll see them all over Canada. Think of it as Canadas answer to the Gheenoe. http://abitibico.com/en/

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What are they asking for that setup? I've been intrigued by the Scott Deep Duck boats as well.
I bought it off of Craigslist. It is a 2018 boat, trailer, and a brand new Honda 15hp 4 stroke. I walked away with the whole setup for $3900. Felt too good to pass up for everything being brand new, given that he bought the motor for $3,700 last fall and hasn’t used it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’ve taken it out a few times. The boat is super stable and moves fast with the 15hp with another person and two large dogs. Only downside is there is a decent amount of floor flex when traveling at speed (cooler bouncing, etc.)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts