Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find myself fishing alone quite a bit and trying to pole my skiff off the stern platform sinks it too much to get a good draft without someone on the bow. I have been poling on the bow, basically backwards till I can spot something then spin it around 180 (if it's wide enough) and try to cast without spooking the fish. Is there a better way to do this? Should I just break down and get a trolling motor. What are you doing with the pole and fly rod to make it easier? I am really tired of spooking fish. My skiff will straight up float in 4" but the weight needs to distributed toward the front.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
171 Posts
I stand on cooler on bow of boat. Stripping bucket in front of me which has notches cut to hold fly rod straight ahead. I made a nylon webbing belt with a j-style fiberglass push-pole holder on each side. Also have a micro power pole on back of boat. When I'm poling and I see a fish, I slip the push pole into belt, hit remote for power pole down, and pick up fly rod. I try to be as smooth and stealthy as possible which takes some practice.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Try keeping your tank full of fuel if it is in the bow. that makes a bid difference to me and im #230. I also keep a 25lbs sandbag in the front compartment along with all my tackle. I keep a seat cushion on the front deck to lay the push pole on and the pole caddy when i sight a fish, then grab the rod. Its a pain, no way around it, but have had some success.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts