Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today we caught, rather stopped at 20 Trout all about 15".
Also fooled a 28" Red to play, thought it / hoped it was a Gator Trout.
A little disappointed set in until it started to test my 10# braid.
All caught ( and released ) in some clean green water, find it, fish it...... ICM

DSCN5303 (2).JPG
DSCN5305.JPG

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The drum bite around here for the past week was about as good as I can remember ( assuming you can tolerate the 105 heat indexes )
I was told by 2 reliable sources that my last week school of Reds has just been netted.
And the netter offer to sell them to a third person that I know.
What a broken fishery system we have in NC.....ICM

·
I Love microskiff.com!
102 Posts
It's amazing what just a short change in geography can make. Fishing in the Bear Island marsh and on the White Oak River has been mediocre at best lately. No reds to speak of and even the trout are sporadic. Decent fishing at Lookout from reports I've read. Did have a good day (or should I say morning) last Saturday near South River using clousers and gurglers but the next day was a bust.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I was told by 2 reliable sources that my last week school of Reds has just been netted.
And the netter offer to sell them to a third person that I know.
What a broken fishery system we have in NC.....ICM
That’s a damn shame. Not familiar with NC laws but is that legal? If not I sure hope they are properly dealt with.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That’s a damn shame. Not familiar with NC laws but is that legal? If not I sure hope they are properly dealt with.
Yes strike netting for Flounder is legal in NC.
Think he's allowed to keep 7 or 9 Reds in the slot 18" to 27" as part of his total haul.
Netting fish without NC Fishery checking or enforcement is the norm.
He can sell that Red for maybe $4 a pound (?) a guide could keep catching that Red for half day charter at $400 (?).
Does not make financial sense to keep netting...ICM

·
Registered
732 Posts
Reason I drive to Ga to fish With my son who is a guide. Website says clearly catch and release only for Redfish. They don’t allow damn gill nets in Ga

·
Registered
422 Posts
I live in Fl and went to a local fish market in Jacksonville and saw a red fish in the display. I asked the owner how they could sell a Florida game fish and she told me that it came from North Carolina so they could sell them. Hope this never happens in Florida again!

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
I live in Fl and went to a local fish market in Jacksonville and saw a red fish in the display. I asked the owner how they could sell a Florida game fish and she told me that it came from North Carolina so they could sell them. Hope this never happens in Florida again!
It won't more money in backcountry fishing charters than the profit from killing a bunch of redfish. I remember the days before the ban and how much better it was afterwards. Of course now it's just overpopulation of people in Swfl that has turned our water to shit.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's the insane part, selling our state fish to other states.
If left alone in our waters it would bring millions of more recreational dollars to our state.
Nearsighted thinking & a strong lobby at work here in NC......... ICM

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Put my fellow CFA Alan on his first NC Trout.
No topwater love, a few blow ups.....
Think we caught 8 Trout ( spikes ), a Ray, a Lizardfish & a Blowfish.....ICM

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts