Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Folks,
First and foremost, I'm glad I found this forum! Lots of great information shared and it seems like there are lots of great people in the community. I'm looking forward to reading up on all things related to microskiffs and fishing/playing from them.

Background
I've been freshwater fishing for probably 30 of the 34 years I've been alive. My dad got me started in it. He had a Bass boat when I was younger and he fished a lot of local tournaments through his work (originally Piedmont Airlines). We have a place at White Lake in Bladen County, NC and man it used to be good fishing. Bass, Perch, and Brim galore. Then the additional blueberry farms moved in and after a few of their wells were dug, altering the water table, the lake changed significantly and the fish population suffered. Couple that with me getting older and other "things" catching my attention, I took a break from fishing through my late teens, undergrad, grad school, and after.

Until about a year ago. I now have an almost 5 year old and an 8 month old. Both boys. The oldest loves some fishing and has (shockingly) already pulled a couple of nice bass out of White Lake. I'm back into it as much as my time will allow for it, which isn't much, but I love it.

I also have a good friend who bought a place at Big Pine Key and restored an 89 Boston Whaler that we used for about 6 days this April to run around and fish. We didn't catch a ton, but it definitely has given me the fever. I've decided I want to learn as much as I can about Saltwater fishing and boating over the next few years so when the oldest boy is a little older, we can look into either a microskiff or ~23' bay boat... or maybe both!

Request
Here's my request: If anyone is looking for a tag along that wants to learn and have a good time, I can be that guy. I can pitch in for gas, food, bait, ice, beer, chum, fees, etc in exchange for riding along and learning. I also have no problem getting my hands dirty (or wet) as in helping launch, cruise, setup, rig, catch, and most importantly CLEAN. I am not looking to show up, step on a boat, go fishing, then hop out when we're done to drive home. I view any opportunity presented to me as a chance to make a great new friend (or friends) while learning all about SW boating and fishing, all while having a good time.

I also don't have any saltwater fishing gear. I'm one who believes in buying nice stuff that will last a long time and taking care of it. That doesn't mean I have to use your stuff if you're willing to take me out. I'm happy to not fish the first couple of times until I'm ready to buy my own kit.

I'll also conform to your schedule. If you want to launch early, I'll plan to drive accordingly or consider coming the night before and getting a hotel. Want to stay in the water later into the evening? Same. Not planning on pulling the boat out or cleaning until the next day? I can get a hotel room over night to stay just to help clean up. No problem at all.

About Me
I am a 34 year old native North Carolinian. Grew up in Fayetteville, went to UNC Chapel Hill on a full ride academic scholarship. Went through business school there, graduated, worked one year, then went back for my Masters of Healthcare Administration full time at UNC-CH. Married to a woman who also has her Undergrad and Doctorate from UNC. We both work in the Triangle and live in Raleigh. As noted, we have 2 boys that are awesome. I am not asking for the boys or wife to tag along at any point. My schedule is hectic so if you are willing to have my join you, and I say I am busy at the time you specify, please do not take it in any way shape or form as a lack of interest. It is merely a scheduling exercise for me given the family, job, etc.

I am also happy to meet folks in person before stepping onto the boat. I'm pretty damn easy to get along with as long as everyone is safe. One thing that I'm not for is doing anything unsafe on the water. I can swim very well, and am not life-jacket/PFD averse. I get along with people of all ages, seriously. I'm also happy to answer any other questions about me that may impact your decision on including me. Just ask!

As far as build, I'm 5'11", 190 pounds, decently fit, but some dad-bod setting in:) I have no problem doing some heavy lifting and manual labor as it relates to any fishing activity we may undertake.

Non-fishing hobbies outside of family life include clay shooting, I build AR15s (not professionally, but I've got the tools and experience to do most non-gunsmith level work. I've built maybe 100 lowers over the last 11 years and probably 30 or 40 uppers, with countless amounts of retooling on already assembled kit). I love Carolina basketball and cars. In the past, I did a good bit of wakeboarding (had a couple of inverts and spins in the trick bag), played basketball, and loved working on fast cars.

·
Lip Ripper
1,715 Posts
Welcome, I'm from Mount Airy originally, went to App, spent tons of time in Chapel Hill, lived in Raleigh, Tampa Florida, and settled in Charleston, SC. If you're ever down this way feel free to give me a shout, I have a baby girl on the way so my fishing time has already been cut, and will probably take some more cuts as time approaches but I can usually get away.

Reactions: JRHorne

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome welcome! My family is from, and a lot still live in Bladen. Grew up at White Lake during the summers as a kid. I live down in Swansboro now, so if you're ever around the area, make sure and hit me up.

I won't hold that Carolina fan nonsense against you either....
Absolutely! Swansboro isn't a terrible drive from me.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Welcome! I'm also in the Raleigh area and went to school at App State. I usually fish around Hampstead or Swansboro but haven't gotten down to either lately since I also have a baby on the way and am closing on a house next month.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Welcome aboard and greetings from Carolina Beach, I just lost my fishing partner to a business trip for the rest of the summer, I usually head out at least on sundays every week. If yah stumble down this way I’d be glad to hook you up with some gear and get on the water for a bit.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Have you checked out Raleigh fishing club? .....ICM
Which Raleigh fishing club is it? I found a Saltwater one that says it has a 100 members or so. They charge $50 a year and it doesn't seem they have a forum.

@sandyharris I'll check out the Fly Fishers, but I am not a fly fisher... YET!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Headed to Oak Island next weekend with the family, including my Dad who is an avid fisherman. If anyone is around and wants to help guide us to some monster Reds and other nice fish, beer, ice, and food are on me! Just PM me and we can connect.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts