NAVIGATION LIGHTS

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by oysterbreath, Apr 19, 2012.

1. oysterbreath

oysterbreath Well-Known Member

I have a few questions:

1.) How many of you have your a separate switch for your bow lights and stern lights. I hear you MUST have the ability to turn your bow lights OFF while at rest but keep your stern on. I know a few people who are not set up this way.

2.) Also, I'm still debating shark eye bow lights vs pop up lights. Pros/cons? I've been infatuated with the Livorsi shark eye lights. They are smaller than the standard sharkeyes and are LED. Anyone got a good connection on getting them cheaper than $130? Also, anyone found any other decent LED shark eye? I'm kinda concerned that the longer 7" ones will not fit the hull contour of my boat all too well.

Thanks

2. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

I've forgotten...you going to build a center console? :-?

3. firecat1981

firecat1981 BBA Counselor

I have separate switches and you are supposed to turn off you nav lights (red/green) when anchored. I didn't use sharkeye's but did go with LED's and I'm happy so far. I mounted mine to the sides of my tiller console.

here are the ones I chose
    http://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/product/led-vertical-sidelights

4. jms

jms don't let common sense get in your way

rule's pretty simple - "under way" - you need to show navigation lights,during times of reduced visibility

anchored - you must show an all around white light

"underway" means ,not anchored - if you're drifting,you're underway...

5. oysterbreath

I WAS at one point of time but I'm now kinda against it. The cockpits really narrow. I mean I KNEW it was...but seeing makes me not want to build a perminate center console.

6. topnative2

topnative2 Well-Known Member

http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/sidelights.htm

7. Delmer

Delmer I Love microskiff.com!

Thats an excellent link it answers alot of questions for me.

Thanks topnative2

8. oysterbreath

A LOT of small boats are in violation of two of those rules. Fortunatly most small boat will not be in INTERNATIONAL WATERS unless a few folk try to make it across to the Bahamas. I'm refering to the placement of lights below the rub rail. The OTHER violation is the fact that your white stern light is supposed to be 3 feet above your bow lights. I know a lot of boats that ain't set up that way...

9. topnative2

Point of info. international waters for nav rules start as soon as you past the jetty of an inlet going to sea :eek:

10. firecat1981

firecat1981 BBA Counselor

I thought it was 3 miles out, hence the reason you can't gamble?

11. jms

jms don't let common sense get in your way

beyond 3 nm is federal waters,inside the 3nm line is state waters...

12. Recidivists

Recidivists Looking towards the weekend!

International navigational rules, as per enforced by the USCG, do indeed start at the high seas.  Top is correct on this, and the demarcation of federal waters has no bearing on this(federal waters are 3 nautical miles on the Atlantic side of Florida, but 9 miles out on the Gulf side).  As soon as you leave "Inland waters", international navigation rules apply.

13. topnative2

- [smiley=1-thumbsup2.gif]

14. fsae99

fsae99 I Love microskiff.com!

When you look on a chart and see colreg demarcation line that is where it starts.

[​IMG]

15. oysterbreath

Soooooo then shark eyes on a micro are a no no if i ever want to run the beach for.....fish...

16. alain_vallejo

alain_vallejo Screw work!!! I'm going fishing!!!

Beside all the laws and rules, think about it as your safety. If your going to have your nav lights on, it's so that other people could see you.
    For those who have run boats at night know that those lights are difficult to see, why make it harder by installing them down low.

17. Recidivists

Recidivists Looking towards the weekend!

It's kind of like illegal tint on your SUV. How far are you gonna go? Likely, not far. We micro guys aren't supposed to be out at night on the high seas.

18. topnative2

X2---It is all about visiblity--I would rather look like a xmas tree than get hit by some drunk in a go fast
    Geezzzzzzzzz!

19. mudd_minnow

mudd_minnow BE THE LURE

Hey oysterbreath, I have a 8 ft flivver boat and was going to put on the shark eyes nav lights. You said they are a no no? 
    What can i use...and thanks, I was going to cut the holes tomorrow.

muddminnow

[​IMG]

20. oysterbreath

I'm not sure im qualified to give you a technical answer.however im sure youll never take it into international waters so you should be ok. If that boat were mine i would put dual light deck mounted unit on it though. Build up a little raised area at the front middle part of the deck to get the light above shear....