Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been reading reviews from some people and seeing quite a few complaints about the leader/fly line getting caught between the spool and frame, requiring you to take the spool off (one guy even said he broke off a fish because of it). Anyone have this experience and come up with a solution to remedy this problem? Sounds like a deal-breaker to me... I want to pair my 6wt with something light, and I feel like the XL would be a good fit but I'm a little gun shy now from what I've read...

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
I’ve had (and still have...) several reels that had loose enough tolerances that you could trap line between spool and frame... The first solution is to learn how to avoid the problem... The second solution is to choose another model (and you can be sure that Nautilus has a variety to choose from)... I have six of them in hard commercial service and highly recommend them...

By the way, unlike many other high end reels... every Nautilus reel I have is very easy to remove a spool from without any tools at all (if you ever do have a line problem or just need to change spools)... Neither Abel or Tibor can make that claim.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have a XLmax and have had my leader get in between the frame and spool only a few times, definitely annoying but not a deal breaker for me. I have either pulled the leader back through the frame and spool with tension or undo the frame which takes all of 5sec. Great reel, super light, nice drag/sound, and competitive price.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have had this occur a couple times on my nautilus reels, primarily the CCFx2. It is a minor annoyance but had only happened when preparing rod to stow and leader slipped between spool abd frame. Like mentioned, a 30 second fix to unscrew spool, solve problem and reattach spool. Never occurred while fishing. The performance of the reel while fishing more than makes up for the rare annoyance. I have 5 nautilus reels from CCFx2, nv and monsters on rods from 8wt -12 wt and all have been flawless while actually fishing. If I got another rod, I wouldn’t think twice about matching with another nautilus. Love the weight and drag and flawless performance while fishing. Like Capt lemaymiami said, if you learn how to avoid the problem and you won’t have any.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have had this occur a couple times on my nautilus reels, primarily the CCFx2. It is a minor annoyance but had only happened when preparing rod to stow and leader slipped between spool abd frame. Like mentioned, a 30 second fix to unscrew spool, solve problem and reattach spool. Never occurred while fishing. The performance of the reel while fishing more than makes up for the rare annoyance.
Same for me. Happens occasionally, but always when I am stringing up the reel. Not really an issue but a little bit of an annoyance.
Reel is amazing though, so no reason to have that scare me off... though now that I said that it will blow up next time I take it out.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Same for me. Happens occasionally, but always when I am stringing up the reel. Not really an issue but a little bit of an annoyance.
Reel is amazing though, so no reason to have that scare me off... though now that I said that it will blow up next time I take it out.
Has it ever happened to you while on the water?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a XLmax and have had my leader get in between the frame and spool only a few times, definitely annoying but not a deal breaker for me. I have either pulled the leader back through the frame and spool with tension or undo the frame which takes all of 5sec. Great reel, super light, nice drag/sound, and competitive price.
Ok, that's a positive review. So it hasn't happened while on the water?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Saltyhackle

I have never had it occur when I am physically using the reel while fishing, you know stripping, casting and fighting fish. Only has occurred when putting leader around reel for stowing rod. But after happened couple times I learned to put leader around reel seat and problem avoided.

I love my nautilus reels and would gladly buy another to pair with another rod. They are light, have good drags and have never let me down on a reel failure.
Good luck with your decision

·
Registered
133 Posts
Ok, that's a positive review. So it hasn't happened while on the water?
Only has happened a few times and when wrapping leader around frame of reel when putting it up. I usually have a longer leader so the part of the line that wraps around the frame/spool is about 25 lb test which is hard for it to slip into the spool. If you would have 15lb wrapped around the frame it would be a little easier for the line to get caught if that makes sense.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Only has happened a few times and when wrapping leader around frame of reel when putting it up. I usually have a longer leader so the part of the line that wraps around the frame/spool is about 25 lb test which is hard for it to slip into the spool. If you would have 15lb wrapped around the frame it would be a little easier for the line to get caught if that makes sense.
Ah I see, now I understand. That's encouraging to hear that it mainly happens when rigging the leader around the spool during transport etc. That detail seemed to be left out from all the people knocking the reel for this issue. Thanks for clarifying - I'll definitely be reconsidering the XL version for a 6wt.

·
Premium Member
3,017 Posts
Thanks for clarifying
So the backing is even thinner although it normally has no slack near the reel when playing a fish, doesn't mean it can't happen.

I had a cheepy reel some years back that the fly line (running part of the line), could slip between frame and spool.
Gave it away but told him why I didn't want it. Sent the manufacturer an Email but they never responded.

My main saltwater reels are 5 Ross Big Game reels.
Starting to get a little "long in the tooth" and a few years back had a failure in the drag on one (something came loose, but it's a sealed drag) and Ross even paid the warranty shipping. That's been the only problem I've ever encountered with the Big Game reels.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Ah I see, now I understand. That's encouraging to hear that it mainly happens when rigging the leader around the spool during transport etc. That detail seemed to be left out from all the people knocking the reel for this issue. Thanks for clarifying - I'll definitely be reconsidering the XL version for a 6wt.
And I believe the XL reel and XL max reel are the same weight just a deeper spool that can hold more line. So I think an XL max would fit a 6wt. They are pretty much the same reel but has more backing and would be able to use on different rods if you needed. I will say the CCF X2 is my favorite!

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
You can easily remove spools from my Abels. All it takes is a coin for crying out loud. You make it sound like its a big deal. Its not.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Has it ever happened to you while on the water?
It has only happened when stringing it up. Never during a fight w a fish or casting.
I have other brands as well, and it happens w them too...at least my Redington for sure.
It is not an issue w fighting fish in my mind. Maybe it could happen, but I highly doubt it.
Great reels and rock solid.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts