Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So finally got my new sled! Sadly my work schedule didn't allow me to pick it up and meet the good people at Ankona so my dad went to pick it up. Couldn't be happier! Trying to break in the motor and got my first snook on the fly on the boat!
IMG_0971.JPG
IMG_0967.JPG
IMG_0968.JPG
IMG_0969.JPG
IMG_0975.JPG
IMG_6110.JPG

·
Registered
941 Posts
I like that tan color on the decks and the side door on the console. Really wish I had gone with the side door. It is so hard to get inside the door to do any wire work, etc. when it is in the back. Where are you located? We are doing an owners tournament again this next year. Hopefully you will be able to make it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m in the Tampa Bay Area. I’d y’all are close enough I’d love to partake

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,854 Posts
Nice to know there is a Native in the in the TB area. I'll hit you up for demo day in TB next summer. Congrats!

·
Registered
25 Posts
So how are you liking it so far? Im in between this, a shadowcast 16 (depending on when the updates will happen) and the sm1444

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So how are you liking it so far? Im in between this, a shadowcast 16 (depending on when the updates will happen) and the sm1444
I love this thing not using tabs, two guys weighing 200lbs, full gear and the 20 gallon Livewell full I’m hitting 30mph at about 5500 rpm, I havnt pushed it past that. stable and cuts through chop well, easy to pole, plenty of storage which was a big concern to me. Slightly tippy but not bad just gotta get used to it. I’ve taken it out every day I’ve gotten it so far and out fish on the boat every day on it. Only this is it only has 4 gunnel rod holders so if you take a lot of rods that’s something to consider but I’d recommend it. Especially after taking it out last week with those 15mph winds in Tampa bay

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Very nice.
What is the color of the Hull?
With the center console, can two people sit behind you or is it to tight/not enough room.
I'm leaning towards the side console.
Thank again,
JB

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Very nice.
What is the color of the Hull?
With the center console, can two people sit behind you or is it to tight/not enough room.
I'm leaning towards the side console.
Thank again,
JB
i got seafood for the hull. two people behind me? no way in hell, honestly it doesnt perform the greatest at all with 3 people, its definitely sluggish. 2 is about perfect.

·
Registered
249 Posts
i got seafood for the hull. two people behind me? no way in hell, honestly it doesnt perform the greatest at all with 3 people, its definitely sluggish. 2 is about perfect.
Thats suprising to hear with such a hull that only weighs 400 (plus your accessories), what horsepower is the Tohatsu?

With the canoe-like bow of the SUV, does it feel somewhat like a canoe up front - like slightly tippy, or leaning when you move around?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thats suprising to hear with such a hull that only weighs 400 (plus your accessories), what horsepower is the Tohatsu?

With the canoe-like bow of the SUV, does it feel somewhat like a canoe up front - like slightly tippy, or leaning when you move around?
So as far as the tippy comment, i thought that when i originally got the boat, 8ish months later i take that back definitely not tippy but being as its my first skiff just not what i was used to, very stable boat especially after seeing some of the stuff ive put it through. its a 40hp tohatsu, i weight about 210lb and most of the people i fish with are about 200lbs so that may have something to do with it but im alittle disappointed on that, 3 people and some times i struggle to get 22-23mph. I know its a micro skiff so its not made for that.

·
Registered
249 Posts
its a 40hp tohatsu, i weight about 210lb and most of the people i fish with are about 200lbs so that may have something to do with it but im alittle disappointed on that, 3 people and some times i struggle to get 22-23mph. I know its a micro skiff so its not made for that.
Yeah, I think you just have a lot of weight adding up - 200+ pound passengers, trolling motor, power anchor pin, batteries for all that, etc.

I wonder though if that hull design, especially with the drag of 17 foot length is maybe just sucking more power than a more traditional design - at least when weighed down with heavy passengers.

Either way, its a perfect looking setup, great color combo with the tan deck - wouldn't mind that on my next skiff!

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
I heard and maybe @Shadowcast can tell us, that if you have trim tabs, you can increase the HP to a 50 right from Ankona.
Hope that's true.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I think that the 60 hp Tohatsu is the same weight, you might reach out to them they may be able to power it up with some minor mechanical changes? Just a thought

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think that the 60 hp Tohatsu is the same weight, you might reach out to them they may be able to power it up with some minor mechanical changes? Just a thought
id be ecstatic if thats the case, thats the only qualm i have with the boat, i have some electrical issues but thats nothing to do with the boat just me getting a battery thats too small when i can fit a bigger one but thats my fault.

It can get any where i want and then some, handles chop with ease. Shoot ive been hitting up the skyway at night for any one whose dont that knows the waves can be no joke and takes it like a champ!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I heard and maybe @Shadowcast can tell us, that if you have trim tabs, you can increase the HP to a 50 right from Ankona.
Hope that's true.
So found out that the 40 and 50 are the same weight exactly so i dont see why you couldn't but on the hull it says up to 40hp so idk how that changes things.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
So found out that the 40 and 50 are the same weight exactly so i dont see why you couldn't but on the hull it says up to 40hp so idk how that changes things.
They just stamp out a new placard.
I had that done on a new boat 20yrs ago and no problem.
I'll have to ask if and when they return my call.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts