Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
I already noe that...
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
One possibility is that this fall, water temps are still quite high (this morning the Watson place on the Chatham river had 76.3 degrees water - at 4Am... courtesy of NDBC.com). As a result, I'm betting that many of the fish are still out along the coast or in nearby areas - and not up inside that much... If I had a kid using shrimp under a cork or on the bottom - and we weren't catching much at all.. we'd be scooting towards the outside to be fishing in places - where the fish actually are..
The next few days water temps will finally begin to drop and once we're in cooler weather (daytime highs 70-74 air temps and much colder at night) fish will flood back up inside - where they should already be on a normal year....

Hope this helps... I consider a water temperature gauge on my skiff as an essential piece of rigging and I really use it during winter..

"Be a hero... take a kid fishing"
Thanks that makes sense I was pretty far in the mangroves I was gonna give the outside a shot but I decided against it. I’ll have to look at my garmin next time for water temperature and I’m still thinking about a trip with captain.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Just remember 90% of the fish are in 10% of the water and 90% of the fish are caught by 10% of the fisherman.

Local knowledge is priceless.

But if the only reason we went fishing is to catch fish there would be lots fewer fisherman. For me just being out there on the water and experiencing all that happens out there is why I fish. Catching fish is just a bonus.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts