Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I already noe that...
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody fish this area? Moving soon and would like to get a better idea of how to fish it. I know a lot of people fish the ten thousand islands. Any tips/advice?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I live in Naples and I fish out of the Port of the Islands 90% of the time. So the 10k islands, bays, creeks are my favorite waters to search for monsters. Obviously there are a lot of different areas to fish in there so just get on the water as often as you can and try to learn your way around. Soft and hard artificial baits work great as well live. Mangroves, beaches, docks, seawalls, jetties all hold fish.

·
I already noe that...
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I live in Naples and I fish out of the Port of the Islands 90% of the time. So the 10k islands, bays, creeks are my favorite waters to search for monsters. Obviously there are a lot of different areas to fish in there so just get on the water as often as you can and try to learn your way around. Soft and hard artificial baits work great as well live. Mangroves, beaches, docks, seawalls, jetties all hold fish.
Sounds good I appreciate the advice!

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
That canal is exactly three miles long and it's all a "no wake" zone.... The good news is that small plugs or other lures can work well - trolled down the shoreline as you idle along (I like the east side...). The other good news is that unlike many places to launch and fish out of in the 10K area, Port of the Islands is pretty user friendly - with a well marked path from the end of that canal all the way out to Round Key -from there you're on your own... It's a good area to start learning about oyster bars and other surprises you'll have to learn about as you ease into a new area...

Of course the best way to learn any portion of the backcountry is to go with someone that knows the area your first few times (either a skilled local angler or a guide...). You'll learn more in a single day that way than you will in a year on your own..

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Likewise with me, just recently purchased some property down by Marco. Been down there numerous times over the years as well as been out with a guide a few times in the 10,000 island (northern part), took out of Goodland Marina. Anyway, curious if anyone has a suggestion of a good guide (Fly Fishing that is for some skinny water action). I also find myself in the market for a skiff! Looking forward to it.

·
I already noe that...
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That canal is exactly three miles long and it's all a "no wake" zone.... The good news is that small plugs or other lures can work well - trolled down the shoreline as you idle along (I like the east side...). The other good news is that unlike many places to launch and fish out of in the 10K area, Port of the Islands is pretty user friendly - with a well marked path from the end of that canal all the way out to Round Key -from there you're on your own... It's a good area to start learning about oyster bars and other surprises you'll have to learn about as you ease into a new area...

Of course the best way to learn any portion of the backcountry is to go with someone that knows the area your first few times (either a skilled local angler or a guide...). You'll learn more in a single day that way than you will in a year on your own..
Appreciate the advice! Do you guide in this area?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Likewise with me, just recently purchased some property down by Marco. Been down there numerous times over the years as well as been out with a guide a few times in the 10,000 island (northern part), took out of Goodland Marina. Anyway, curious if anyone has a suggestion of a good guide (Fly Fishing that is for some skinny water action). I also find myself in the market for a skiff! Looking forward to it.

There were quite a few good local guides that just participated in the RedSnook tournament this past weekend. RedSnook | Conservancy of Southwest Florida

1 - 12 of 12 Posts