Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all, new account but previous user here. I had an account probably 7 or 8 years ago and bought my Mitzi off here but couldn't remember my old login information. Anyways, I've got some questions for y'all.

I'll be in Naples in late May for a week. I might be fishing with a buddy on his boat one day (Fort Myers, Charlotte Harbor) with a chance of targeting (at least trying to) smaller tarpon. Would it be best to fish the darker backwater areas around the mangroves or the clearer water out by the beaches like Cayo Costa, for example? And I was planning on walking the beaches early morning around the Naples/North Naples area to look for snook. Just wondering if this time of year is a waste of time doing that or normally worth it.

I'll do a search for leader set ups for tarpon but I assume snook should be more simple? 9ft leader down to maybe 15 or 20lb tippet?

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
510 Posts
Snook should be out on the beach by then. Look for irregularities in the beach (rocks, blowdowns, deeper troughs etc) and fish those areas.

Tarpon should be going well by then as well. Fish both beachside and backcountry depending on wind, tides, crowds. Be flexible and you might get one.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Weather has been warm and snook are lookin to hit the beaches already.. They'll be out there by then, early morn wont afford you much sight fishing but definitly worth dragging a white clouser or shminnow around.. baby tarpon are around and should be next month too esp if we start getting some rain.. big poons are off the beach at the moment.. good luck!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Late april-Mid July is my favorite time for fishing that area. Poon are around pretty consistently, snook should be out on the beach, and the reds can be found if you are willing to work for them. My new favorite beach fly is an EJs mustache Minnow. Basically some white SF fiber tied in on the first 1/4 of a sz 1 sc15 or similar, then some white pseudo hair tide in ahead of it, then finish it with a little olive pseudo hair ahead of that. slap on some 3d eyes and an epoxy head and it's money. Also works for those smaller poons, and picky reds.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds pretty straight forward, I'll make sure to have some of those tied up. Thanks, Chops

Edited to add: When you say first 1/4 are you talking about towards the bend of the hook? And are you hollow tying the psuedo hair in (tying facing towards eye and pulling back) or just lay it down and tie it in?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Juvi tarpon are starting to bite in the canals. In another month or so that should pick up substantially. We have them by the dozens around our fish light some already nearing that 3' size.

Snook from the beach at dawn. You can find pockets of them in the passes at 15'-20'. Mangroves on a moving tide are still our favorite though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts