Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had the opportunity to spend the day reviewing the nanoCraft 13 a few weekends ago and all I can say is WOW, Alain Lacasse knows how to put together a boat the right way. The fit and finish of these boats is unlike anything I have seen in the sub 15k poling skiff market.

As I went to check out the boat I was expecting to see something similar to the first time I went to check out the Ankona Shadowcast 16, years ago when it was introduced…a new offering at an affordable price point with a solid build but what I would expect for the price tag. What I found instead was an impeccably built boat with the highest quality components and ingredients put together on Hell’s Bay tooling by the hands of an artful craftsman with over 30 years experience. Nothing sums up the quality of this boat more than the old Vince Lombardi quote Alain has framed hanging over his mold in the shop.

Its evident Alain takes Coach Lombardi’s words to heart. When I first saw his website I expected this to be a boat put together from some guy that bought an old mold…That is not the case. It is evident how passionate and invested he is in this boat, as he has been a part of it since it was brought to the market in 2008. He was the lead of the team that created the original tooling for what became the hells bay skate. And the nano 13 is every bit of the boat you would expect from a mold built for hell’s bay. The non-skid is built into the mold and vaccum bagged into the gel coat to assure 100% consistency, its not a hand laid afterthought, and the results reflect this.

“From beautiful mold’s come beautiful boats”, exclaimed Alain as he showed me the molds he helped build over a decade ago. He is a firm believer in building things right the first time around. This is evidenced by the healthy amount of gemlux hardware filling this 13’ skiffs from the bow to the hatches to the stern.

The lines and strakes on this boat are beautiful, and the little details such as the fittings that are placed in the holes where the gas lines run under the gunnels show the attention to detail and thought that has been put into this boat. The Coosa Board placed on the motor mount makes it so you only have to turn the screws on the outboard less than two turns to secure the motor. The extended height on the mount makes a jack plate unnecessary.

Alain vacuum infuses the hull with vinylester resin, and when I remark just like the hell’s bay skate, he corrected me that the skate was vaccum bagged after being laid up but was not infused. From what I understand this adds cost to the build but creates the perfect resin to glass ratio without voids making the lightest and strongest hull possible. The thought he has put into perfecting this design is impressive. I mentioned to him the idea of making the center seat modular to add or remove a cooler or livewell as needed and adding tie downs for this and he pulled out recessed hardware he just got in the mail with thumb screws for exactly this purpose, and showed me the grab-bar/yeti cooler holder that could come off or be secured with 4 thumb screws to avoid the need for tools.

more test

IMG_5544.jpg
IMG_5546.jpg
IMG_5547.jpg
IMG_5549.jpg
IMG_5550.jpg
IMG_5551.jpg
IMG_5553.jpg
IMG_5554.jpg
IMG_5555.jpg
IMG_5564.JPG

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Nice skiff. Please explain the cockpit finish. Looks like AstroTurf was glued down on a porch, pulled off and painted over the remnants. I have an unfinished cockpit. Gel or told it’s Awlgrip over chop strand.

·
Registered
183 Posts
The cockpit finish kinda reminds me of the 80's era ActionCrafts non-skid...not saying that's a bad thing, and was effective...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a similar criticism to the carpet on the under the gunnel rod holders that others had posted about but Alain stated he also could do them in ocean grip if preferred. I am trying to post the wet test but it keeps flagging it.

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,517 Posts
We need to see pictures of it on the water. Damn nice looking from what i can't tell is it a 1 or2 person boat. Does it have a platform, hows does it pole, what engine?, Speeds, draft
the Normal stuff

·
I Love microskiff.com!
385 Posts
Nice skiff. Please explain the cockpit finish. Looks like AstroTurf was glued down on a porch, pulled off and painted over the remnants. I have an unfinished cockpit. Gel or told it’s Awlgrip over chop strand.
From Alain:

"The interior texture is Line X tinted and shot from a gun. You can adjust the texture some with air pressure. Thinking if it's tough enough for a truck bed, should hold up fine in a nano. Gives a nice nonskid surface a super easy to clean."

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
It produces a "softer" finish, definitely not abrasive. Soft finish is a subjective term. I can say bare feet are no problem what so ever. Hope this helps.
Perfect. I have seen some truck liners that are not boat/foot friendly. I’m looking for Seadek options. Hate the glue line when it shrinks and it’s hot as hell. Wonder how the liner would hold up if an edge were exposed?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Perfect. I have seen some truck liners that are not boat/foot friendly. I’m looking for Seadek options. Hate the glue line when it shrinks and it’s hot as hell. Wonder how the liner would hold up if an edge were exposed?
I know what you mean. The secret for no pealing will be a good surface prep, especially along the perimeter edges. I forgot to mention the product does have a sort of "flow out" as its applied and cures, nothing gritty. And it can be made any color you wish. We make it a few shades lighter than the exterior. Anything but white... to bright.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts