Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
JC, I just took a look briefly at that floor glassing video - and I think you said you were using epoxy and chopped strand mat - I thought epoxy couldn't activate the binders in CSM?

·
Premium Member
2,412 Posts
JC, I just took a look briefly at that floor glassing video - and I think you said you were using epoxy and chopped strand mat - I thought epoxy couldn't activate the binders in CSM?
I think you misunderstood me in the video. I typically won’t use epoxy and csm. However, epoxy can be used with the 08 materials such as 1208,1708,1808,2408. The csm on these materials is stiched and takes epoxy perfectly. You can get good wet out with standard csm but it takes a lot more effort than with polyester since the binder is styrene based. The end product will look different also and won’t lay down as nice as with polyester but still make a good bulking layer if needed.

·
Registered
247 Posts
James, thanks - I just saw this thread and clicked the video, but now I see that was the video you posted of your friend Curtis; for his floor he layed down 2-layers of CSM with Epoxy (if I heard him right);

·
Registered
247 Posts
I think you misunderstood me in the video. I typically won’t use epoxy and csm. However, epoxy can be used with the 08 materials such as 1208,1708,1808,2408. The csm on these materials is stiched and takes epoxy perfectly. You can get good wet out with standard csm but it takes a lot more effort than with polyester since the binder is styrene based. The end product will look different also and won’t lay down as nice as with polyester but still make a good bulking layer if needed.
Btw, thanks for this info; I have some 1708 - but think I may buy some lighter cloth to have on an upcoming project - the 1208 would be the lightest of those you mentioned for epoxy use right?

·
Premium Member
2,412 Posts
Btw, thanks for this info; I have some 1708 - but think I may buy some lighter cloth to have on an upcoming project - the 1208 would be the lightest of those you mentioned for epoxy use right?
I believe there is a 1008 but I could be wrong and don’t see a need for it. I could be mistaken though.

Reactions: Shallows

·
Premium Member
2,412 Posts
James, thanks - I just saw this thread and clicked the video, but now I see that was the video you posted of your friend Curtis; for his floor he layed down 2-layers of CSM with Epoxy (if I heard him right);

He could have but I know he’s been using polyester for that build but he may have misspoke or actually used epoxy. Would have to watch again or ask him. He’s a cool dude, he reminds me of myself lol...

Reactions: Shallows

·
Premium Member
2,412 Posts
Bump, still working on some new stuff for ya’ll, so no new stuff up yet. But my doctor is getting me all patched up and starting to feel 10yrs younger so look out!!! 🤘

·
Premium Member
2,412 Posts
Next 3 videos almost done. Also, have my mandrel at fab shop for up to 24’ carbon push poles! I’ll have two finishes available. One will be conventional biaxial sleeve finish, the other will be a spiral wrap finish. No delivery available but can maybe set up a daisy chain to get the pole to you! 1000 subs and there will be a custom push pole give away! 50,000 and there may be an X-Caliber hull in the making for some lucky person!

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
Next 3 videos almost done. Also, have my mandrel at fab shop for up to 24’ carbon push poles! I’ll have two finishes available. One will be conventional biaxial sleeve finish, the other will be a spiral wrap finish. No delivery available but can maybe set up a daisy chain to get the pole to you! 1000 subs and there will be a custom push pole give away! 50,000 and there may be an X-Caliber hull in the making for some lucky person!
SweeT. I'm ready to pull the trigger on something very soon (build of purchase).

·
Premium Member
2,412 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,412 Posts
Well fellas, I’ve thought long and hard on this one. I’ve been returning fire on cancel culture these past few days with twitter, coca cola, etc... and now you tube! It was a tough decision to make but one I felt I had to. I know I haven’t uploaded in a while, been busy with baby on board due in May and working on the I95 crashfish as well as the Johnsen skiff stretch. Again, this decision pains me to no end but I will get through it. I started this channel to help folks and damn it, that’s just what I am gonna continue to try to do! This channel is the only thing I will put my political thoughts aside and push through the cancel culture world we live in today. I WILL continue to share my builds, ideas, and how to’s with the world and hopefully ya’ll can make sense of them lol!🤣 I have no plans of becoming the next youtube star or monitoring at this time.

·
Premium Member
2,412 Posts
Programming for 2021 will go something like this...

(1) Continue to video log Johnsen skiff stretch and share the details
(2) delivery of the I95 crashfish with before/during/after and recognition of all involved with this wonderful project that I am proud to take part in!
(3) A complete video log from half model to wet test of X2.0 full carbon one off!!! Goal for this series is 150+ videos with some how to stuff showing how to build an ultra light weight carbon fiber one off including a “back yard” post cure oven to make the most of the laminate! Soooo, stay tuned!

·
Premium Member
2,412 Posts
Also, I have started a Patreon account to help fund some of these videos and to make up a little income for my time so please go there to support the cause. I haven’t set up a subscription schedule yet but promise to keep it reasonable and offer more than just stickers and early video release for the lower tier subscribers! Will also be doing monthly give aways to my subscribers and a significant annual give away! Thanks and all the best, here’s to a great 2021!

·
Premium Member
2,412 Posts
Thank you!

·
Banned
2019 Jackson Mayfly, Jackson Kilroy DT
275 Posts
Well fellas, I’ve thought long and hard on this one. I’ve been returning fire on cancel culture these past few days with twitter, coca cola, etc... and now you tube! It was a tough decision to make but one I felt I had to. I know I haven’t uploaded in a while, been busy with baby on board due in May and working on the I95 crashfish as well as the Johnsen skiff stretch. Again, this decision pains me to no end but I will get through it. I started this channel to help folks and damn it, that’s just what I am gonna continue to try to do! This channel is the only thing I will put my political thoughts aside and push through the cancel culture world we live in today. I WILL continue to share my builds, ideas, and how to’s with the world and hopefully ya’ll can make sense of them lol!🤣 I have no plans of becoming the next youtube star or monitoring at this time.
Did you need me to make a "guest appearance"? You know, to bring a new, fresh, and exciting perspective? 😁

41 - 60 of 66 Posts