My Jeep

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by tom_in_orl, Aug 15, 2007.

1. tom_in_orl

tom_in_orl Founder of Microskiff, Member of the Gheenoe Army

Remember my Jeep ;D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mygheenoe1

mygheenoe1 Well-Known Member

did it say fishgazam III on it

3. tom_in_orl

Not this one [smiley=spank.gif]

4. zero_gravity

zero_gravity Well-Known Member

expensive primer bet shell come out looking great

5. captnron

captnron Guest

Normal rust spots but very little. Usually that vintage has much more cancer. Looks good. Going to be one sweet ride. Did you decide what kind of ponies your putting under the hood? 350? ;) I've been out of it for a while now but I bet they now make headers for 350's that tuck in real nice and don't reduce ground clearance. Are you dealing with 4WD Hardware or Quadratech? I've found that the people who talk to you on the phone at 4WD actually work and build their own so they have more first hand knowledge but it's been a while since I purchased from either.

When you get'r done, let's take a ride up in the forest when it doesn't conflict with hunting season.

Please post the progress. Jeeps are fun to build.

l8tr,
    CR

6. whitesnook

whitesnook Guest

Prime and paint on blue on her!!!! I'm sure she will look beautiful when u get it done!

7. rcmay

rcmay Well-Known Member

are you going to paint it pink and rainbow like you've always wanted? [smiley=badidea.gif]

8. tom_in_orl

Its a 1985 AMC CJ7 (pre-Chrysler). It has a strong running 258 6 cylinder which is correct for that year jeep. The drive train has been upgraded already. When its done it will be put back to the original color Metallic Ice Blue. I like a few other colors better but I have restored other vehicles in the past and always been happiest when the vehicle has its original color especially when its a nice one.

All of the work is being done by Toybox Jeeps In Holly Hill, FL (next to Daytona). I met the owners, Pete and Kim Angel, back in 2001 after I bought it and it needed a little bit of work. Great family business. Just like Gheenoe. Check out their site and you can see lots more. Lots of people have frame off restorations done but that was way out of my budget ::)

9. captnron

captnron Guest

So your keeping the original 258? Smart man - hill climbs better than the V-8. Been there - done that. ;) Might consider a Weber though. ;)

10. tom_in_orl

The weber has been on there for a couple of years. Might go to fuel injection next for better MPG.

11. brew1891

brew1891 Well-Known Member

is this the place you were telling me about at the Brandon Tourney that does the awesome restorations to Scramblers for like 30k?

12. tom_in_orl

Yep, This is some of there stuff.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. whitesnook

whitesnook Guest

My pop used to have 2 CJ's 304 v-8's with 4 speed manual tranny...........love those jeeps.

I like the classic jeeps better. Better offroading and very tough body work.

14. captnron

captnron Guest

I had a 79 CJ5 with a 304 3 speed Renegade and it full time 4WD with a "locked-up" front end. . My Wrangler so much rides better and I really like the auto with the air lockers. ;) If I was doing pure off road, I would want an old CJ5 or a military.

Gotta love those CJ8 Scramblers. :cool:

15. tito

tito Well-Known Member

Tom, so how do you go to work now.

16. tojo

tojo Well-Known Member

I had the "Toy Box" do some work for me and get me parts' pieces bout 10 yrs ago. They definitely do good work.

I'd love to have a restored scrambler, but dang people are proud of them.

I kinda like the idea of a white scrambler pulling a white LT25 with a 40 2 stroke Tohatsu attached to it ;)

17. tom_in_orl

Bought a beater to drive until its done.

18. captnron

captnron Guest

Now you guys have wanting them to do a 4" lift on my Rubie. ::)

19. tom_in_orl

I received pictures today.

The first one is the original paint from 1985 on the inside of the glove box. The exterior was painted with the original Ice Blue color and the interior coating was freshened up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. captnron

captnron Guest

She's starting to look like a Jeep. ;) What color top?