Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading a bunch to threads here, and talking to a few of you, I pulled the trigger on my first skiff. Purchased from another member here who is in South Carolina, an East Cape Glide- thank you Sean. I'm really excited to fish her for the first time tomorrow. I'm looking at her as an interim skiff while I'm waiting for one to be built for September of next year- but who knows I may keep this one too as my way backcountry skiff.

Thanks microskiff and the folks that both knowingly and unknowingly helped.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks folks. I’ve gotten slime on her, I’m trying to get slime in her. ;-)

Completely new to this game. Did manage to get in the midst of a bunch of redfish today, was fly fishing, but they wanted nothing to do with what I was throwing. Did see one with its back out but couldn’t get to it quickly enough. Still was great to see them.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Whiskers is my name for them. They are actually LineTack Light Spikes from Carbon Marine. They are to help manage fly line, especially keep it from going under the boat when casting or retrieving.

Some folks use tall buckets, some just strip into the cockpit, others use a cage around the casting platform. I don't like buckets, and seems like there is always something in the cockpit for the line to catch on, so I thought I'd give these a try.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
107 Posts
Whiskers is my name for them. They are actually LineTack Light Spikes from Carbon Marine. They are to help manage fly line, especially keep it from going under the boat when casting or retrieving.

Some folks use tall buckets, some just strip into the cockpit, others use a cage around the casting platform. I don't like buckets, and seems like there is always something in the cockpit for the line to catch on, so I thought I'd give these a try.
Are these spikes removeable? how are they attached? sweet sled

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks. The pad for the spikes has an adhesive sticker on it. Three of the ones I got wouldn’t stick but I had spares and they are all sticking fine now. Ive got them stuck on top of all grip (cleaned the surface with rubbing alcohol first). They should come off easy when/if I want them off. Maybe take some Googone to take off any stubborn adhesive.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, so that wasn't the "final" mod on the Glide. Perhaps this is. Added a cav plate (Permatrim) and moved the engine up one hole. I'm sure I can go up another (the final) hole but I need to source another 2x4. Then even with a jack plate I don't think I could go up any further due to the cowling hitting the poling platform.
IMG_3749.jpg

·
Registered
422 Posts
Ok, so that wasn't the "final" mod on the Glide. Perhaps this is. Added a cav plate (Permatrim) and moved the engine up one hole. I'm sure I can go up another (the final) hole but I need to source another 2x4. Then even with a jack plate I don't think I could go up any further due to the cowling hitting the poling platform.
View attachment 119946
I'll bet a stainless 4 blade prop is in the next set of pictures.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'll bet a stainless 4 blade prop is in the next set of pictures.
I'll bet you are correct. First I need to go up to the final hole, then take measurements and speeds, and rpms, and my subjective view on performance- and pass that on shallow water's angriest man.

I'm a little low on rpm with the current prop, and there is room to swing a bigger diameter blade. I'm guessing that means less pitch to get the rpm I want. But I'm sure Jack will have the answer.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts