My first project boat!

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by brooks5577, Sep 21, 2009.

1. brooks5577

brooks5577 I Love microskiff.com!

So i have a 1995 Gheenoe classic and a poling platform. IM planing on wiring, building front and rear decks, and add false floors. Im also going to have to do some fiberglass work (there are cracks in the rear seat making it weak) also I have had it in the water one time and when it got on plane the floor under my feet was moving is this normal?? Any help would be awsome I have never done something like this soo anything will help!!! (tips on wiring building the decks, adding false floors, and glass work) Thanks and im going to post pics soon...

2. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

First off, congrats on your new ride.

Lots of helpful folks on here willing to help.

Best thing to do is to take pictures of the areas of concern and post them so we can all see what you're dealing with.

The greatest thing about all the gheenoes is they are easy to work on, modify and, if need be, to fix.

The floor flex sounds normal; it's a gheenoe. Lightweight is good, but will flex on the floor which is normal. Excessive flex might be a sign of trouble but honestly it's normal for a floor to flex a good bit. Not unnerving if you've spent time in a royalex canoe or something but certainly an eye-opener if you've come from a traditional flats boat.

Breeze through this section, as well as the bragging post to get some ideas of how others have tackled the same issues you're thinking of now. Then post some pics and questions and we'll all pitch in where we can.

-T

3. brooks5577

Here she is... Now time to make her pretty!!! [​IMG]

4. RustyReel3755

RustyReel3755 I Love microskiff.com!

Where did she go??????.........

5. brooks5577

how about this?? [imgDSCN1252.JPG[/img]

6. rkmurphy

rkmurphy Well-Known Member

Upload it to Photobucket.com and copy and paste the IMG tag

7. wallbanger2

wallbanger2 Well-Known Member

That brightened my day Rusty!

Brooks, cant wait to see a pic of the new ride.

8. brooks5577

9. brooks5577

HAHA I got it!! Here she is and Now ready to become pretty again!!!!! [​IMG][/img] [​IMG][/img] [​IMG][/img] [​IMG][/img]

10. brooks5577

Now here are my problem spots and i need help and advice on how to fix it!!![​IMG][/img] [​IMG][/img] [​IMG][/img] [​IMG][/img] [​IMG][/img] [​IMG][/img] [​IMG][/img] [​IMG][/img]

11. brooks5577

Demo time!!![​IMG][/img] [​IMG][/img] [​IMG][/img]

12. brooks5577

will this work???? [​IMG][/img] [​IMG][/img] [​IMG][/img]

13. brooks5577

what can i do about this???? [​IMG][/img] [​IMG][/img] [​IMG][/img] [​IMG][/img] [​IMG][/img] [​IMG][/img] [​IMG][/img] [​IMG][/img] [​IMG][/img]

14. paint it black

paint it black Paddling away...

Most people would recommend epoxy resin for repairs.
    That looks like a great start.

I would love to come across a Gheenoe like that.
    What model Gheenoe is that?
    All I always find is the narrow back ones.
    I would like a wide back one.

15. brooks5577

Its a 98 classic 15'6. I got it with the EZloader trailer! what brand name resin should I use? Where can i find this to buy? I dont want to go to west marine cuz they rip you off!!!

16. Un-shore

Un-shore Well-Known Member

West marine might be a expensive looking but epoxy is not cheap in general.

Check around on the web for prices to get a general idea then look around your area for specialty shops that sell resins and epoxies in the yellow type book or the web. Take a look at bateau.com they have epoxy trial kits that look reasonably priced and would be a good way to start and to get a better idea of quantities you will need to finish your project.

Fiberglass polyester resin is not a good bonding agent. It is great for lay ups but not repairs. The work that has been done on your boat looks like they used polyester not to mention they did a bad job of preparing the areas. It looks like it will peel off when it gets used.

You will need to grind down past the gelcoat and into the fiberglass in order for a good repair. and like Str8 said use epoxy.

17. Gramps

Gramps Living & Dying in 3/4 Time

Check out Raka and Fiberglass Coatings for epoxy, glass, and supplies. The are both Florida companies too.

18. brooks5577

After fixing the spots I plan on repainting the boat inside and out! will I be able to hide the bad patch job with the new paint??

19. Gramps

Gramps Living & Dying in 3/4 Time

With the proper fairing yes. But how confident are you in the repair? May be easier to redo the patch and safer in the long run.

20. paint it black

paint it black Paddling away...

Try Fiberglass Coatings Inc down in Ft. Lauderdale.
    They supply the local marine store that I buy it from.

Or you can try online at http://boatbuildercentral.com/