Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

My Drake Nomad

6958 Views 53 Replies 39 Participants Last post by  egreen1
I picked up my Nomad 2.0 from Wilds yesterday. Hard to properly express how happy I am with this boat already. I agonized over every detail as I worked with Wilds to finalize everything from colors to options to gauge placements. He indulged all my back and forth with his sole goal to build me my dream boat.

He succeeded.

Water Boat Sky Cloud Naval architecture

I put down my deposit over 10 months ago after making a trip down to see the Drake operation and take a run in Wild's personal Nomad on a nearby small lake. I pushed him a bit to shoot for having the boat done by the beginning of September due to a trip I want to take (more on that later) and he hit the delivery right on schedule as promised. I actually put down the deposit while my BT Strike was also being built because I didn't discover the Nomad until after I ordered the Strike. I decided to take delivery of the Strike which was done April 1st for several reasons but one of them was that maybe I'd be happy enough with the Strike to then not want the Nomad so much. After having the Strike for a couple months, though, I just couldn't get the Nomad out of my head so I decided to go ahead and sell the BT and move forward with the Nomad build.

Man, I'm happy I did. I've only done the first three hours of engine break-in on a lake near my home in NC and its Labor Day weekend so the lake is full of nutbags in wake boats and, with this lake being 60-100' deep it was a bit like running on the ocean except the swells and chop were coming from six different directions. I got off the water by 12:30 but just the little time I've spent with this boat tells me I'm going to be incredibly happy with my decision. This thing handles amazingly. Night and day from the BT. And the BT wasn't really all that "bad" (I didn't think).

And it has to be the prettiest skiff I've ever seen. I'm biased, of course, to a degree since I chose the colors (to match my truck, actually) but it came out incredible. And the attention to detail and level of quality are simply unmatched by anything I've ever owned before. There are so many ways it is evident this boat is built with extreme care and a driving need to do things "right" and be gorgeous.

More later but here are some more shots of my new dream skiff.

Boat Tire Plant community Vehicle Watercraft

Vehicle Boat Watercraft Automotive tire Naval architecture

Rectangle Automotive exterior Automotive design Motor vehicle Font

Property Wood Floor Rectangle Urban design

Water Rectangle Outdoor furniture Font Wood
Road surface Grey Asphalt Mesh Pattern

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Wood

Wood Plant Rectangle Hardwood Wood stain

Had him do two rear-facing rod tubes on each side for versatility.

Textile Gas Automotive exterior Auto part Water

Example of one of the many little details. I opened this hatch and saw these and asked.... What are... and before I could finish the question I realized these are the stand pipes for the live well (one short and one long). He built in a way for them to be stored neatly when not in use instead of just rolling around in the bottom of the well.

The boat will eventually live down in Islamorada but it is going to get there from NC in a rather round-about way. I'm planning to take it to fish the Louisiana marsh, the Texas flats I grew up on and the Nature Coast of Florida before finally landing at home in the Keys where it will then stalk Bones, Tarpon, Reds and Snook in the waters down there.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

· Registered
899 Posts
Just a suggestion FWIW. Not that the Drake hull isn't plenty strong enough to be carried on only two carpeted bunks... If I was going to tow the skiff 3000 miles, I would want some sort of hull support or Stoltz keel roller/v-roller on the cross member just forward of the spare tire. 1) To help support the weight of the fuel tank and other stuff, and 2) To guide the boat at the correct level to meet the bow-stop roller at the correct height if you are on a steep ramp and/or you backed the trailer in a little too deep. That bow-stop roller is pretty close to casting-deck level and you could get into trouble. Anyway, enjoy your new skiff. It's awesome!

· Super Moderator
4,333 Posts
That is one gorgeous skiff. Congrats and post up some reports from the break-in journey. That sounds like a lot of fun and you'll definitely be stylin'!

· Registered
2009 Beavertail Osprey 60HP Suzuki
43 Posts
That’s is one beautiful skiff. A fishing buddy asked me the other day, if I was to win the power ball what skiff would you buy. I told him I was not sure but my first trip would be to Drake to test drive the Nomad 2.0, IMO they are the best looking skiff on the market and from everything I read they fish as good as anything out there. Love your whole rig from the Bronco back. Sounds like a great trip also.

· Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just a suggestion FWIW. Not that the Drake hull isn't plenty strong enough to be carried on only two carpeted bunks... If I was going to tow the skiff 3000 miles, I would want some sort of hull support or Stoltz keel roller/v-roller on the cross member just forward of the spare tire. 1) To help support the weight of the fuel tank and other stuff, and 2) To guide the boat at the correct level to meet the bow-stop roller at the correct height if you are on a steep ramp and/or you backed the trailer in a little too deep. That bow-stop roller is pretty close to casting-deck level and you could get into trouble. Anyway, enjoy your new skiff. It's awesome!
Interesting... but, having worked with Wilds enough and knowing he tows his skiff a lot, I'd be very surprised if it were necessary. Not the kind of detail he's likely to miss but thanks for the thought.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts