My Cayo 180 Build

Discussion in 'Bragging Spot' started by ReelFisher, Oct 27, 2017.

1. ReelFisher

ReelFisher Active Member

After lots of waiting my build is finally on the home stretch! I may be wrong, but as far as I know this will be the first 180 in the Lowcountry. I really needed something I could chase shrimp boats off the beach in the morning and also hit the floodtide in the evening. Tried to keep the build pretty simple, but had to splurge on a few things :)
    Build Specs:
    Cayo 180 - Light gray hull with sea mist green deck/console
    Suzuki 90
    Forward casting platform
    Simrad GO7 with Sonic hub
    6.5" JL speakers
    Red and green undergunnel lights
    Storm gray cushions
    Fold up backrest
    Cup holders
    Gray over seafoam Seadek helm pad with tarpon scales
    Welded rod holders
    V-Marine push pole caddy
    Stainless eyelet on console for tying knots

The hull was popped out of the mold yesterday so I expect the hull and deck will be joined early next week. I'll keep updating as I get more pictures IMG_1799.JPG IMG_1800.JPG IMG_1919.JPG IMG_1933.JPG IMG_1979.JPG IMG_1980.JPG

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
  2. bryson

bryson Lowcountry Degen

Looking good! Let me know if you need someone to pole you around once it's finished!

3. firefighter813x

firefighter813x Active Member

This is so sick. I'm super excited to see the finished product.

4. yobata

yobata I Love microskiff.com!

Looks great! Can anyone chime in on the coring theory here? It still just looks like it is cored only in specific areas.

No Bait / Lures Only likes this.
  5. archerm83

archerm83 I Love microskiff.com!

Love the colors!! Can't wait to see it finished!! I was going to do a whisper gray hull with sea mist on top, but changed my mind at the last minute.

6. mtoddsolomon

mtoddsolomon Lip Ripper

Looks great! Looking forward to seeing you running around!

7. ReelFisher

ReelFisher Active Member

Thanks guys...no new pictures yet, but the motor was ordered last Thursday so it should be here in two weeks...just in time for rigging. The hull color is called "Roberts Gray" and is between whisper gray and medium gray so hopefully it won't show the oyster rash too much!

8. ReelFisher

ReelFisher Active Member

Just a little teaser of the color scheme, hull is getting prerigged this week. Looks like @zlenart and I are at the exact same point in our builds IMG_2054.JPG IMG_2057.JPG

Fritz and RustyNSC like this.
  9. No Bait / Lures Only

No Bait / Lures Only I Love microskiff.com!

I like the size of the rigging pipe/tube, never be too big as adding components never ends...

10. ReelFisher

ReelFisher Active Member

She's starting to come together now. Console goes on today and hopefully the motor later this week. IMG_1322.JPEG IMG_2334.JPG

RustyNSC and Fritz like this.
  11. CurtisWright

CurtisWright Light, Strong, Cheap. Pick Two.

Nice. A lot of work goes into building a boat like that.

If you have ever tried to shape scored divynal, or set up for vacuum bagging you know where all the man-hours are. Itchy eyeballs too. No matter what you wear, the foam dust is getting in there.

Fritz likes this.
  12. KiKoKiK

KiKoKiK Active Member

I went by the shop today...

Attached Files:

Fritz likes this.
  13. ReelFisher

ReelFisher Active Member

193A2A65-AEB9-4DF6-B573-2C1ABB3ECEF0.jpeg Ohh nice, thanks for the pictures man! JB sent me a picture the other night with everything mocked up. Delivery date should be in a week and a half!

bryson likes this.
  14. ReelFisher

ReelFisher Active Member

Drove down and picked up the new skiff yesterday. Didn't have much time to run the boat while I was down there, but first impressions are awesome. Can't wait to actually get it out this weekend and put some hours on the motor. IMG_3012.JPG IMG_3016.JPG IMG_E3017.JPG

makin moves, zmgsvt, KiKoKiK and 3 others like this.
  15. firefighter813x

firefighter813x Active Member

Does anyone know if J.B. purposefully leaves a hard edge instead of rounding them towards the transom? Is this for looks or functionality?

Such a sweet boat!

16. ReelFisher

ReelFisher Active Member

I assume you're asking why it doesn't have a rounded transom? Can't speak for JB but my guess is there isn't a particular reason. Still a fairly new design in the more mainstream skiff building world if you can call it that.