Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive been tossing the idea of a skiff around for several years now and I’m about to pull the trigger I believe..one question I have is about my old Johnson 50 and whether or not I should buy a boat with a motor or use the one I have..I bought a custom flat center console jon boat about 4 years ago from an elderly man in a town nearby..gave very little for it..turns out the motor was like brand new said my boat mechanic..that motor has been nothing but good to me..starting everytime and running flawless..I’m buying a used skiff of course but should I buy one with a motor or strap the Johnson to her and role out ..personal opinions thoughts anything is acceptable on this thread I’d like to hear it!! Thanks tight lines

·
Lowcountry Degen
1,707 Posts
I don't know about the smaller engines, but I had a pair of older (2000) Johnson 130s on my bigger boat a little while back. My experience has been that they are great motors, easy to work on, but loud and thirsty. I know there are other qualities that matter more for skiffs (weight, for example), but I never paid much attention to that with my bigger boat.

·
1652 G3, & 1756 Lowe tinnys
776 Posts
I have a 96 Johnson that works like a charm. I'll replace it when I have to, not before. I do have to mix the oil, but that is no big deal.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The boat it’s on now for sure weighs double what the skiff I’m looking at weighs maybe even 3 times as much and i get around 30 with my regular load..I’m looking for 40mph out of the new boat..will I get it? ‍♂

B

·
0 Posts
That is a great motor! Curiosity is asking what hull your planning on bolting it to??? If you maintain it well and keep her oiled she will last you many many years. I have a ‘97 40/50 twin that has around 10k hrs on it. She is getting a proper rebuild but was running still when I tore it down and had 125#’s Compression. Was getting water in from the exhaust. I would run what I brung in your case provided the hull will take a 50, James

B

·
0 Posts
I think the folks at Ankona build a right fine skiff and are terrific people! My reccomendation is to pm @copperhead AKA Mel and ask his thought on performance with that skiff/ HP combo. My first thought wants to say heck yeah! But better to get the info from the man himself, James.

·
Registered
411 Posts
My first instinct is if it runs...Use It! Based on what type of used boat you buy, the controls for your 50 HP may or may not work with the "new to you boat". With a little time you can make anything work but will you be happy with the way it looks? At worst you have to buy a new control binnacle and cable.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts