Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a fun little skiff that is nothing fancy and was thinking about asking if my cousin, who is in art school, if she would like to paint a fish mural along the side of it (think das boat). I thought it could be kinda cool to have a cool mural on such a funny little skiff. Anyone ever do this before? Any chance it would stay awhile? Best paint? Thanks!

·
BBA Counselor
7,236 Posts
You gotta get it super clean and stripped of all wax. After that find out what paints they use for boot striping boats or pin striping cars, as they are uv resistant.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
112 Posts
A mural would be super cool. As far as paint goes just try to make sure whatever you use is designed for the surface type you are painting. I have had good luck with Interlux Urethane paints. I've also used the pretty basic boats paints from Lowes very effectively. Let us know what you end up with and how your cousin liked painting with it.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Years and years ago lots of fishing club members down here in south Florida had various art or boat names very prominently displayed on the sides of their rigs... Names on some of my old skiff included BoneBreaker, SeaSaw, and others. I did get to pole a gorgeous standard Egret around 25 years ago that had fish mural on each side depicting a flats grand slam of Tarpon, Bonefish, and Permit...

Down here it's kind of fallen out of favor when full boat, heavily commercial linked wraps, began to show up... Nothing like getting carried away while you're carrying on... I haven't had a skiff that even showed a name in over 30 years now.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,169 Posts
Ii do art and have airbrushed cars and surfboards, but will never paint on my skiff. Could be interesting though I guess.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for replies guys. This is a cheap, utilitarian skiff so am not looking to go high dollar on this. Ill let you know if this materializes. Rustoleum topside paint would be economical. Buy white and color tone it ourselves. As others have said, prep is key.

·
Registered
98’ Whipray
337 Posts
Borski does it to all his canoes. I think there’s one hanging up at the Angling Company in KW. Literally a piece of art.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Way back when I thought having a big prominent name on my skiff was a great idea -any sign painter will know exactly what paint to use -and the work will be professionally done...

Like I said before, names on fishing boats seem to have declined in popularity down here in south Florida, compared to years ago....

·
Registered
98’ Whipray
337 Posts
Way back when I thought having a big prominent name on my skiff was a great idea -any sign painter will know exactly what paint to use -and the work will be professionally done...

Like I said before, names on fishing boats seem to have declined in popularity down here in south Florida, compared to years ago....
I’m seriously considering doing a name midship on my skiff.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,513 Posts
Yeah...back in the classic Mako days all the club families were known by their boat names.

My in-laws 262 was "Island Jazz" and the 171 was "Lil Jazz". My 181 was "Flats Frenzy".

They still, to this day, remember people who ran specific boats.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts