Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI.....They are marked down to $399 with free shipping. Sign up for their email newsletter and receive a promo code for 10% off. I know it’s not top-o-the-line....but a good deal for the money. I’ve got one on the way for $359.95.

Attachments

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well that was quick....ordered on Wednesday....arrived this afternoon. Not bad for free shipping. I opened it up and everything was there, well-packaged with a set of instructions, epoxy, mixing cups/sticks and disposable gloves. One thing I did notice....the last two feet on each end, where the tip and foot are attached...the carbon fiber has an extra layer...supposedly to add a layer of protection and extra strength. I’ll put it together tomorrow.

There’s an excellent how-to video on the YouTube:

Reactions: flyclimber

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,769 Posts
That's a nice pole for a reasonable price. But I'm going to stick with my old glass pole

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes....and I may wait till the weather warms a bit. It’s recommended that the epoxy paste not be used below a temp of 62-degrees.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Tape the sections together to be safe. A friend and I put his together and one end (the tip) pushed out as it sat up on a level workbench to dry. The other end was open, so trapped air wasn't the culprit. Don't know why it did it -- it was the only joint on the pole that did it, but it had to be cut off, sanded, and re-epoxied.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Your house is below 62?

Prep the center and ferrules and glue them. Let them set up, and clean off any runoff between them.

Now leave it alone overnight. Sand any epoxy overruns off and glue on the other ends the next day. Epoxy the tip and fork after the shaft is set in place. Gorilla tape will hold them in place.

Not hard at all. Just don’t rush.

·
Registered
603 Posts
It’s more than a good deal I’ve used a lot of poles and it’s right up there with some of the best, I took my time and building it over about 3 days a little at a time so it set up well and I’m very impressed with it, the stainless steel tip needed some Plummer’s tape so it doesn’t back out.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My workspace is in the basement where its warmer than the outside temp....but not 70-degrees like upstairs. I’m pushing my luck with the purchase of a new boat....assembling a 21-foot pushpole in the den while my wife is watching the Hallmark Channel may be a dealbreaker.

I think the guy in the assembly video mentioned that as the epoxy begins to kick....there is some expansion. This may be the reason for the pieces separating while the epoxy cures. I’ll be taping the joints to hold them in place. He also suggests placing one end of the pole against a wall....and placing a heavy object against the opposite end.

Reactions: grovesnatcher

·
Registered
220 Posts
I assembled mine about six years ago, and if you do one section at a time, tape the joints, and place the ends against a wall or heavy object you should be fine. And grovesnatcher is right about the quality of the finished product. Good luck with it!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well it went together with ease. I took my time and taped both sides of the ferrule joint to avoid epoxy smears. Propped it between a garage wall and a Yeti cooler filled with water. No separation while the epoxy kicked.

If you purchase one....watch the Mudhole video.

Reactions: Vincent A Sawchuk

·
Registered
123 Posts
Received mine the other dayt... Watched the Mudhole YouTube video and took my time putting it together. Very easy to do and felt good using it out on the water the other morning.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts