Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! John here from Great Lakes Fly Shop in Duluth MN. well I am pretty much decided to move to New Orleans. I love fly fishing for reds in the back waters and enjoy more now being in my flats boat more then wading for trout and steelhead. Mostly cause my age. so going south is where my heart is. looking for areas to live that are safe of course and near the water. any feedback would be awesome! thanks

·
Registered
1648 Aluminum Custom Joe Boat, 35 Evinrude
187 Posts
Well moving to the New Orleans area will be a big change. Interesting culture, people, etc. but often like a third world country. I live in the Baton Rouge area. If I were you I would consider one of the outlying communities to live. For example Luling or some other close by spot. The Luling area did not flood during Katrina. You would have to pay me a crap load to live in New Orleans (anywhere inside the levee area that protects the city). I was approached about taking a job there many years back and I flat said no.

Don't really want to bash the area. There are many good people there. Just look around a good bit before you make a purchase.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
107 Posts
Welcome to NOLA!
If you would like to chat about the city and fishing give me a call.
John
504-427-9269

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
My twins on the North Shore (Mandeville and Lacombe). Kind of a good mix of old school and trendy. And 45 minutes from some good launch spots.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello everyone! John here from Great Lakes Fly Shop in Duluth MN. well I am pretty much decided to move to New Orleans. I love fly fishing for reds in the back waters and enjoy more now being in my flats boat more then wading for trout and steelhead. Mostly cause my age. so going south is where my heart is. looking for areas to live that are safe of course and near the water. any feedback would be awesome! thanks
Welcome! Don't let the NOLA bashers persuade you before you get boots on the ground! I wouldn't live anywhere else. It's true that it takes a certain type of person to appreciate New Orleans-- and a certain risk tolerance for crime, weather, crappy infrastructure, etc. The "developing nation" analogy is spot on and one that I often use myself. But like developing nations, in exchange for the aforementioned hardships you often get incredible food, music, culture, etc. Just like fishing, you gotta pick your spots: I live uptown in an area (Carrollton) that didn't flood during Katrina, two blocks from the streetcar, walkable to all manner of bars/restaurants/music venues. Even grocery/pharmacy/errands are doable on foot/bike. It's "big city" when you want it, "small town" when you're in that mood, too. But I have a weird housing history: I grew up on a massive tract of land in GA (old man's a hunting guide), promptly moved to NYC after undergrad, have made many moves since-- I've experienced the spectrum of living situations. What I've learned is that I HATE THE SUBURBS. I either need to be within walking distance of everything that I need or on enough land to not see my neighbors. My old NOLA shotgun house is perfect for the former; the girlfriend and I are looking for a "camp" (LA speak for cabin) to do the latter. All that said: I also wholeheartedly agree with @Sublime about the northshore: It's cool in its own right and a waaayy better option than the stripmall- covered suburbs of Metairie/Kenner if NOLA proper doesn't do it for you.

Other thoughts:
Since you're from Duluth, I'm gonna guess you're a paddler. Keep your boats- a good canoe or kayak is essential here. Or you can go full native and build a pirogue.
If you have a truck/4x4, KEEP IT. The streets flood, the potholes are insane, and "roadwork" lasts for years. I have used 4-low on a residential street (Check out @lookatthisfuckinstreet on instagram if you need a laugh).
In general, outdoor folks do well in NOLA: our situational awareness, gear, and low- maintenance lifestyle translates well to the "northernmost country in the Caribbean."

Hit me up if you have other questions.

·
Registered
Mitzi 17’ Tournament Sea Borne 21’ Bay
166 Posts
I have traveled for the past 5 years to Louisiana for work every couple of months. I would not live “in” New Orleans. It’s dirty and crime is terrible. There are many nice places to live outside the city and close enough to still enjoy the great things the city has to offer.
just my opinion.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have traveled for the past 5 years to Louisiana for work every couple of months. I would not live “in” New Orleans. It’s dirty and crime is terrible. There are many nice places to live outside the city and close enough to still enjoy the great things the city has to offer.
just my opinion.
Easy, @Coffeyonthefly! One man's dirt is another man's "patina." Bourbon Street and the tourist environs are a disgusting petri dish, but huge swaths of the are absolutely beautiful. You're not necessarily wrong about the crime though-- property crime has gotten pretty bad regardless of the area, so cars parked in front of those beautifully restored homes are broken into way too often.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
441 Posts
I heard they have applications open for door gunners on the school buses so you should be able to find a job with no trouble.
Tire Bus Automotive parking light Wheel Vehicle

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,836 Posts
He didn't mention bar hopping or resturants. He wants to fly fish. So somewhere near Delacrox or somewhere around there

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks guys for the very educational break out. I see from others too that it is not a safe place but I do love Tuba Skinny! I will def do some more looking into out lying areas. I do like the idea of walking to places but I have my boat and truck? maybe a nice house with a decent garage. cheers John

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,256 Posts
Without reading the other responses
Why😳

·
Baton Rouge, LA
206 Posts
2nd vote for north shore.
If wanting to live on the water, Eden isle. Have a plan for hurricane evacuation if you live there though (pretty much applies to anywhere).
Fishing wise, if the spillway gets opened because of high river levels, you're not going to catch anything remotely requiring salt water for quite a while without a significant drive.

·
Registered
Hells Bay Professional
75 Posts
I've fished out of Houma, La quite a few times. Nice area, 45 minutes away from NOLA and like many coastal areas of La...great fishing. Best of luck in your decision.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've fished out of Houma, La quite a few times. Nice area, 45 minutes away from NOLA and like many coastal areas of La...great fishing. Best of luck in your decision.
thank you for the possibility there. I checked the neighborhoods in that area and they look pretty nice and not as expensive.

·
Registered
1648 Aluminum Custom Joe Boat, 35 Evinrude
187 Posts
It's true that it takes a certain type of person to appreciate New Orleans-- and a certain risk tolerance for crime, weather, crappy infrastructure, etc. The "developing nation" analogy is spot on and one that I often use myself. But like developing nations, in exchange for the aforementioned hardships you often get incredible food, music, culture, etc.

Since you're from Duluth, I'm gonna guess you're a paddler. Keep your boats- a good canoe or kayak is essential here. Or you can go full native and build a pirogue.
@j_f is pretty spot on. Note that you don't have to live in the city to enjoy the food, culture, music, etc. If you want to be part of the culture on a daily basis, that is another matter. There is nothing like the smell of piss in the morning in the French quarter. I would also keep any small boats you have but don't invest in a pirogue just to go full native. A canoe will beat a pirogue hands down any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

If it were me, I would start looking where you primarily want to fish. The options are essentially endless. Then look for a place that can store all your crap, including boat/boats, that will minimize your travel time to and from said areas to fish. The closer towards the middle of town you get the less space you will have generally speaking unless you are willing to drop a lot of cash.

Good luck!!!

·
will pole for food
1,012 Posts
I love visiting NOLA. Such cool city that has sadly become such a shit show run by absolute corrupt idiots, all sitting atop crumbling roads and broken water pumps. Thugs roaming the streets robbing, car jacking and shooting residents have become a daily occurrence. My mom lives in a "nice" part of town. Their neighborhood has a rent-a-cop patrol guy, and even still, she and my 2 sisters were robbed at gun point in broad daylight a few years ago. The two piece of shit robbers later carjacked and killed a local attorney that night.

My parents and most of my family are from NOLA going back several generations. It feels like home to me when I'm there, much more so than the cajun prairie where I live. However, you couldn't pay me to live there. My parents fled the city in the 1980's after a home invasion uptown. My mom moved back in the 2000's. My sister and brother followed suit some years later. My brother loves it wouldn't live anywhere else.

Northshore is getting pretty crowded, but between the two, I would live on the Northshore and visit Nola when the mood strikes.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts