Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm originally from Florida, but have been gone for 12 years and I am currently living in Salt Lake City, UT. I have a job opportunity that is located in Tampa that I am going to accept. I've owned skiffs in the past, but I was living in South Texas at the time and don't have much experience with them in Florida waters. I would like something that I could comfortably cross Tampa Bay, has a little speed and is easy enough to pole. I've been doing internet research and some of the boats that have interested me are the Beavetail Air, Hells Bay Marquesa, and the East Cape EVO.

Will these boats do what I'm looking for? Are easy enough to pole all day with a 115HP?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
704 Posts
My son lives in Tampa... we fish everytime I go over there. That bay is huge and wide open, can and does get very choppy and sometimes rough. Bay boats seem to be the predominant boat I see over there.. he gets his 25 Pathfinder with a 350 merc on a jackplate pretty much anywhere in that bay, can't pole it but the trolling motor works well. Catches all sorts of stuff.. and this time of year its tarpon season on the open beaches outside out on the Gulf. There is plenty of skinny water also.
There seems to be lot of Pathfinders 17's as well at the ramps.

If you are a bait fisherman most guys run straight to the Skyway bridge to catch it.

My nephews run an older 21 Contender with 150 Yammie, and get that thing into most anywhere they need to by idling in.

When my son got the 25 Pathy Bay boat I was surprised he did not get a flats boat, but after fishing with him a few times I see why now. He takes that thing 25 miles offshore to bottom fish.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I cant really speak to the other boats, but you are welcome out on my EVO X when you get to Tampa. Drop me a PM and we'll put something together.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
24 Posts
Sounds like you may want 2 boats. But don’t we all? I’d have 3 if I could keep them all in the garage, (and afford them). One offshore boat, a bay boat, and one to hide skinny back in the mangroves and rivers on the windy or winter days...

Make that 4 boats for me because I would also want a mothership house boat down around Chokoloskee..

·
Registered
583 Posts
Sounds like you may want 2 boats. But don’t we all? I’d have 3 if I could keep them all in the garage, (and afford them). One offshore boat, a bay boat, and one to hide skinny back in the mangroves and rivers on the windy or winter days...

Make that 4 boats for me because I would also want a mothership house boat down around Chokoloskee..
^^^This^^^
My lottery dream

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
As someone who lives in FL and has spent a good amount of time in UT, I wouldn't come here if you paid me. With that said, you might also want to think about something like a Hewes or other traditional flats boat. They pole a little heavy but get reasonably skinny and eat up chop pretty well.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
I'm originally from Florida, but have been gone for 12 years and I am currently living in Salt Lake City, UT. I have a job opportunity that is located in Tampa that I am going to accept. I've owned skiffs in the past, but I was living in South Texas at the time and don't have much experience with them in Florida waters. I would like something that I could comfortably cross Tampa Bay, has a little speed and is easy enough to pole. I've been doing internet research and some of the boats that have interested me are the Beavetail Air, Hells Bay Marquesa, and the East Cape EVO.

Will these boats do what I'm looking for? Are easy enough to pole all day with a 115HP?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading![/QUOTE

Any of those boats will do the job as well as plenty of others. My suggestion is to take rides on several different boats once you get down there. And get up on the platform and pole them. What's "easy" for me is probably different than what is easy for you. In general, I think a 115 on a skiff is a great motor but it is not one that is easy to pole all day. Its all about the weight on the back of the boat vs the draft you lose.

Then once you have found a couple of boats you like go visit their plant and see first hand how they build boats and do business.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I think any of those would be great for the area. I have a Cayo 180 which is similar, but I have a 90 on it and I feel like it's the perfect boat for this area. You would probably have a hard time getting one new, but used ones do pop up. If you want to check it out when you're here PM me.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
As someone who lives in FL and has spent a good amount of time in UT, I wouldn't come here if you paid me. With that said, you might also want to think about something like a Hewes or other traditional flats boat. They pole a little heavy but get reasonably skinny and eat up chop pretty well.
As someone who has spent a fair amount of time in FL and Utah you couldn't pay me to live in either one of those but I'd take FL over Utah in a heartbeat....lol.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My son lives in Tampa... we fish everytime I go over there. That bay is huge and wide open, can and does get very choppy and sometimes rough. Bay boats seem to be the predominant boat I see over there.. he gets his 25 Pathfinder with a 350 merc on a jackplate pretty much anywhere in that bay, can't pole it but the trolling motor works well. Catches all sorts of stuff.. and this time of year its tarpon season on the open beaches outside out on the Gulf. There is plenty of skinny water also.
There seems to be lot of Pathfinders 17's as well at the ramps.

If you are a bait fisherman most guys run straight to the Skyway bridge to catch it.

My nephews run an older 21 Contender with 150 Yammie, and get that thing into most anywhere they need to by idling in.

When my son got the 25 Pathy Bay boat I was surprised he did not get a flats boat, but after fishing with him a few times I see why now. He takes that thing 25 miles offshore to bottom fish.
Thanks for the advice, however I enjoy fly fishing and sight casting, so that boat would not do it for me. However, in a perfect world I have a Bay boat as well!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As someone who has spent a fair amount of time in FL and Utah you couldn't pay me to live in either one of those but I'd take FL over Utah in a heartbeat....lol.
Haha....well I’ve been all over the US and I’m ready to get back to Florida. Utah is great for skiing, hiking and fly fishing, but the vibe is lacking for sure.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think any of those would be great for the area. I have a Cayo 180 which is similar, but I have a 90 on it and I feel like it's the perfect boat for this area. You would probably have a hard time getting one new, but used ones do pop up. If you want to check it out when you're here PM me.
Thanks, I would love to see one in person. I’ll send you a PM next month when I get there.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I cant really speak to the other boats, but you are welcome out on my EVO X when you get to Tampa. Drop me a PM and we'll put something together.
That would be awesome, I’ll definitely take you up on that. I’ll send you a PM once I get there next month!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Lol yeah in a perfect world four boat would be the ticket!

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Haha....well I’ve been all over the US and I’m ready to get back to Florida. Utah is great for skiing, hiking and fly fishing, but the vibe is lacking for sure.
IF the flyfishing in Utah was so good then I wouldn't see Utahard plates every body of water I go fish up here....lol. But then they don't call southern Idaho "northern Utah" for nothing.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
IF the flyfishing in Utah was so good then I wouldn't see Utahard plates every body of water I go fish up here....lol. But then they don't call southern Idaho "northern Utah" for nothing.
Let me rephrase, it’s good in neighboring states? I’ll be at the Henry’s Fork next week. Are you near there?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
746 Posts
I have nothing to add of substance, except, whole bunch of fishy ga boys have been and wil be on Henry’s and the Mo this month. And look at a used silverking, their is a reason a whole lot’em around Tampa.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts