Mounting a trolling motor

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by phwhite101, Mar 22, 2010.

1. phwhite101

phwhite101 I Love microskiff.com and Fly Fishing

Can someone give me a suggestion for mounting a transom mount trolling motor on my Amesbury 16?

[​IMG][/img]
    [​IMG][/img]

I am leaning toward a minkota endura 55, but I'm not sure what length to get. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I want to build an aft casting platform, console lighting, and a proper power on/off switch. The center bench comes out but then I have nothing to hang on to so I am playing with the idea of having a grab bar made out of aluminum locally.

[​IMG][/img]

Thanks for your help. By the way, I live in Connecticut and sight fish striped bass on the flats in Long Island Sound. I will be towing this skiff down to the Upper Keys then the Tampa Bay area the first week in May to fly fish.

2. firecat1981

firecat1981 BBA Counselor

well you can look at my thread in bragging spot to see how I'm doing it on my boat, but I'm not sure I would go that route on such a pretty boat unless you really need it on the front. If I were you I would look into a small auxillary motor bracket, like you see sometimes on sailboats, and bolt it to the transom on one side or the other.