Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Let it scream!!!
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so I recently got a Carolina skiff j12 and I wanted to put my motor I had on my jon boat on it...mercury 25 with a 15 inch shaft. The problem is the motor is a little too high. Maybe 2-3 inches max. I need to lower my motor bc right now it will not run because its too high. Should I use a jack plate or cut out the fiberglass?? Am I able to just put the jackplate on our will it not be able to tilt up when I need to trailer the boat or pole. Plz all input will help. I'm in Miami so if you also suggest local companies for this fix lmk. I was planning on using a bobs mini jack plate. Is this the right one??

Thanks!!!!

-Mike

Ps pics will be coming soon!!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,820 Posts
you sure its too high? i have never seen a 12' carolina skiff that wouldnt accept a 15" short shaft motor, maybe you can post a few pics of it?

·
Let it scream!!!
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm trying to post this from my phone so its not the easiest! Lol But I took a yellow measuring tapr and laid it on the bunks so you can see where the bottom of the boat its. It's a 20inch transom. If you look closely at one of the pics you can see where the previous owner fiberglassed to increase transom height. Thanks you for the replies!

·
Let it scream!!!
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok so its not letting me post pics due to it being to big of kb size so i'll post when I get home. Hour or so.

·
Let it scream!!!
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i know its a smaller boat but its a lot heavier than my 14ft jon i had with the 25hp. heres pics!!!

·
Let it scream!!!
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
more pics...sorry i dont knwo how to do more than one at a time.

·
Let it scream!!!
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
look close and you can see the fiberglass work the previous owner did since he had a 20 inch shaft

·
I Love microskiff.com!
217 Posts
cut that crap out ! use a sawzall and cut about 1/4" above the bottom of the new stuff that was put in there you may find that the original top of the transom is intact and all you have to do is a little chizeling and grinding  back down to where it was and who knows ? maybe you go to cut it and the new stuff comes right off? either way id put it back to where it was

·
Let it scream!!!
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The transom is strong as can be. No chisel would work but saws all would. What would be more cost effective and take lest time? Jack plate about 140(bobs) or cut and refiberglass( idk how so I'd have to hire)

Input

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,820 Posts
i dont think a jack plates gonna work cause that will set your motor too low to steer, i would restore the transom to where it use to be

·
Let it scream!!!
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
decision is final. im cutting the transom. thanks for the input guys as i would've initially bought a jackplate!!

i'll post pics of progress and how it turns out!

·
I admit I have a fishing problem.
110 Posts
I have the exact same problem with my build. I've decided I'm gonna cut about 4" off of the transom to put my cavitation plate 1" above the bottom. Lucky for me, I have an aluminum boat that is in the strip down phase and it can easily be hidden after paint. I've checked and it will not interfere with my stearing.

Sorry to hyjack you post.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
40 Posts
So I have a J12 and just bought a Tohatsu 30hp from Nexo on this board. My shaft is now to long....wanna trade??Just kidding, I am thinking of getting a stationary jack plate, any suggestions.

·
Let it scream!!!
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
no problem buddy! let me know how it turns out! btw what kind of jon boat do you have? yr, make, length. i just got rid of my 14ft grumman.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts