Mountain biking,great cardio

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by creekfreak, Apr 8, 2013.

1. creekfreak

creekfreak I Love microskiff.com!

Well my friends dragged me mountain biking yesterday and feeling the pain now,sore as hell.Kind of liked it though.Great cardio while having fun,I'm sure ill get used it.Good thing is I'm agile due to my latter breakdancing days and those old days when we jump ramps with plywood and tires and sore threw air.Helped out a lot .lol

2. creekfreak

They took me to Virginia key in key biscayne.

3. firecat1981

firecat1981 BBA Counselor

Never made it down there. I used to ride quiet waters years ago until it was torn up by a hurricane.

If you want a pretty good time then head up to Markham Park near Weston. The trails are fast and fun and the bridge sections are really cool.

I ride Loyce Harpe and Alafia up here in the Tampa bay/central Fl area. Both are awesome parks.

I don't know what kind of bike you have, but plan to spend a bunch of money if you really get into it. I'm eyeballing a new 29er in the $2-3k range, but my current bike I still like and already have a few grand into it, and it's not anywhere near top of the line. It's a pricey sport, but you can't buy a better workout and it's damn fun too!

4. creekfreak

5. creekfreak

oh man I wrote in between your comments.Long day lmao.They let me borrow  bike,but gonna try to stay like 300$ to 500$.I have to get to know more about bikes 1st.You know how it is with reels,Stradic,Smoke,Cabos ,all great reels and don't cost a fortune.Gotta find the Stradic of bikes,lol

6. oysterbreath

oysterbreath Well-Known Member

I've been eye balling a single speed 29er myself, nothing too fancy. I've been wanting to get back into it for a long time. My last was full suspension. I wanna go really simple that's why the single speed. It'll be a slightly different skill set. Just can't pull the trigger without the wife going ballistic! I might have to trade off some other toys to get one. Have any of you ever bought bikes from Bikesdirect.com?

7. paint it black

paint it black Paddling away...

Dude, let me know. Let's hit the trails. I dropped down from 239 to 173 just mountain biking. I stopped riding daily, then I busted my knee so I had to take a month off of riding. I've put a little bit back on, but not much. Going to start riding every day again. Let me know. I ride Amelia Earhart park and Virginia Key a lot. Oleta is trash. It's all worn down, and they don't maintenance it so the trails are in terrible condition. Markham is more about skill, not much about speed, so I prefer to ride Amelia and Virginia. Amelia is a very fast park.

8. firecat1981

firecat1981 BBA Counselor

It's not about the bike, it's about the components. Don't get caught up in the big names! Most of the frames these days come from the same factories in china, the difference will be some of the geometry might be slightly adjusted, and the colors.

The real difference in the pricier bikes will be the components on it. The frames are the cheap part, stuff like good derailleurs, shifter, forks, chains, rings, wheelsets, tires, cranks, saddles............ These are the things that separate the junk bikes from the bad ass ones.

Above all the very most important thing is getting a bike that fits you! I'm 6'3", I started riding a walmart special when I moved up here, when I got my current bike I ended up with a mens XL, which is a 21" frame. I went back and measured my walmart POS and even though it was a "mens" 26", the frame only measured 13", which is a woman's extra small! Find a bike that fits you well, even if it's got cheaper components on it you can always upgrade a little at a time.

I could write a book on this stuff, lol. Trial biking, what we are actually doing since we don't have any mountains, is a badass sport and you won't find a better workout that is this fun IMO. Good Luck!

9. creekfreak

Thanks for the heads up fire cat.

10. creekfreak

Heck yeah pib,soon as I get a mata fievre (fever killer)bike,ill holler at ya.

11. paint it black

paint it black Paddling away...

Yeah, I ride a $1200 Trek, and I love it. It's got Shimano XTR components, and bad ass hydraulic disc brakes. The only thing is the fork isn't the best. It works great on trails like Amelia and Virginia Key, but it starts making all kinds of noises going through tough terrain like Oleta and Markham.

I started off with a cheap Trek that I had traded a fly rod for, I upgraded to the new Trek a couple months later. You can check out my MTB videos on my youtube channel.

youtube.com/urahoecallme

12. alain_vallejo

alain_vallejo Screw work!!! I'm going fishing!!!

1200 bucks for full xtr, where can i get one?

13. galleta_loco

galleta_loco Well-Known Member

Just remember if you get into the "scene" a year later everyone will say your bike is crap and outdated ;D I have a 2001 Trek 8000 that is a great bike,but by some accounts it should have self destucted an inpaled me by now.