Motor spray

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Str8-Six, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Str8-Six

Str8-Six I Love microskiff.com!

I get a lot of spray that comes in the boat while on plane depending on how I have the motor trimmed. If I trim it right I can avoid it but I have to trim passed that angle sometimes. Anyway to prevent this and what is causing it? My transducer is starboard side outside the sponson. I have a copperhead with Zuke 60.

2. firecat1981

firecat1981 BBA Counselor

Is your motor mounted to low? Or how far below the hull is the cav plate?

3. Str8-Six

Cav plate is a little(.5") above hull. Should have included that above.

4. makin moves

makin moves Well-Known Member

There was just a recent post about this with the transducer causing the spray. They built a little deflection plate to go over top of it. Pretty sweet idea and set up.

5. RunningOnEmpty

RunningOnEmpty I Love microskiff.com!

The transducer would spray regardless of motor trim position. I would try raising the motor. You might need a cupped prop to prevent cavitation.

6. sirvenjose

sirvenjose Fishing and diving

I had the same issues, I raised my engine and problem was solved. I also gained RPM and speed.

7. Str8-Six

IMG_0648.JPG Thanks for all the info thus far. Should I go up one hole or two? Right now my cavitation plate is this far above my hull and engine is on top hole. That's a 1"x2" piece of wood. How much does it cost usually? Assuming not DIY type job.

8. MariettaMike

MariettaMike Wish'n I was Fish'n!

It is a DIY job if you've got ALL the right tools. Don't even try until you have ALL the right tools else you'll get stuck at partial completion, and then get hosed to have a pro finish the job.

I would go up 1 bolt hole = 1/2" and try running tabs down, trim up.

9. Str8-Six

Cool, I don't have tabs but that shouldn't matter right? The sponsons do a pretty good job of letting me control bow with just engine trim. I'll call my Suzuki dealer to see if they can do it. Rather not risk it with DIY to be honest. 230lbs is a lot for an out of shape guy like me haha.

10. lemaymiami

lemaymiami Well-Known Member

Here's a genuine shadetree method of raising (or lowering) a motor that's already on your transom -and it won't take any special gear (except for the right socket on your 1/2" drive wrench...), as long as you have a tongue jack on your trailer.... This is how I was shown many years ago to do the job (and it works -even with big motors..). What you're going to do is fix the motor so it can't move -then move the hull in relation to the motor...

Set your trailer on a hard surface, not connected to your tow vehicle (driveway, garage floor, etc.) then carefully block up your trailer wheels on each side so that the trailer can't move back and forth. Now lower your motor to the vertical -then place 2x4s or a 4x4 underneath your skeg to support the motor and then raise your tongue with the tongue jack until the skeg begins to bite into your block(s) and no more. Now loosen the two bolts that are at the bottom until they are slightly loose, then remove your top two bolts (you may have to again slightly raise the tongue on your trailer until the motor's weight is no longer a factor on those two top bolts...). Once you've removed the top two bolts then you crank DOWN the tongue on your trailer until the top two holes in your transom are at the next higher bolt holes on your motor (with your motor supported by the blocks - but still held in place by the loosened bottom bolts, raising or lowering the tongue on your trailer will allow your hull to move while the motor is held in a fixed position...). Once the motor properly aligns with the bolt holes replace your top two bolts -then properly secure all four bolts. Once that's done, lower the tongue enough to remove the wooden support blocks underneath your skeg - and you're ready to do some testing...

NOTE: What I've just described is for a motor without a jack plate installed.. You guys with jackers are on your own - but the principles I've just mentioned are the same....

Now for the testing part... Drop your rig in the water, set the motor in the running position then idle, then gradually bring your hull up on plane... If that's satisfactory, then stop -and from idle in gear... jump up onto plane... If that's okay your last test is to get up onto plane then do a series of turns -from gradual all the way to quick and sharp... What you're looking for is any sign your setup is blowing out (and if you're where you should be it should only blow out slightly on a very sharp turn - easily corrected by a very slight downward trim...). If you experience a bit more blow-out than you want you have two choices -slow down a bit in turns or consider a four blade prop (all it takes is money....). By the way, we always only moved a motor one bolt hole at a time and then tested to figure out whether we were in the ball park or not.... With all of this sort of stuff it's much, much easier with a spotter right at the transom while a driver runs the rig ....

Hope this helps... aren't boats fun?

11. Str8-Six

Wow, that is a great idea. Only worry is all that weight on the skeg. Can the skeg really support all that weight(229lbs)?

12. tjtfishon

tjtfishon Well-Known Member

I've done it with the skeg on my 50 which weighs 220 with no issue. Took me less than 10 minutes. You could also park it under a tree limb or if you have a rafter in your garage and take the cowling off and use the lift ring on the motor...support it from the top with a tow or ratchet strap.

13. MariettaMike

MariettaMike Wish'n I was Fish'n!

14. lemaymiami

lemaymiami Well-Known Member

The motors I learned to do this with... all weighed more than 300lbs.... Remember all you're doing is allowing the motor to support itself - no extra weight as long as those bottom bolts are loose.... with relatively soft wood for the skeg to stand on.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017 at 7:51 AM
  15. zthomas

zthomas I Love microskiff.com!

A variation on this method that worked fine with my little two-stroke 50 was lifting it with a hydraulic floor jack under the skeg. Obviously put a block of wood between jack and skeg.

16. Str8-Six

Ok. Thanks again for all the feed back. Is it bad for the engine to run that high? Should be about an 1"-1.5" higher than hull if I higher it to second bolt. Any negatives to raising it before I do it?

17. tjtfishon

tjtfishon Well-Known Member

The only negatives would be if you ventilate the prop which may be able to be fixed with a new or modified current prop and possible lack of water pressure due to the pickup not being in clean water, but without a tunnel hull that is not likely to be an issue as long as the prop can get bite in the water. I guess one issue that may or may not be negative is that your steering effectiveness will change with less of the lower unit in the water, it will have less rudder effect and will tend to push the stern through a turn...

Str8-Six likes this.