Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new here. I just purchased a Gheenoe Standard Stick Steering Super 16 in Olive color and Tan inside with no platform. And currently having a hard time deciding on which HP to buy. Currently looking at 4 stroke remote/long shaft 2017 Tohatsu 30HP (160 lb) or the 40HP (209 lb).

Current weight without motor:
Wife - 230 - sits in the back
Myself - 160 - driver and sit in the middle on stick steering
Son - Does not come often - 150 - will sit in front of me.
Battery - assuming two are needed. Estimated to 70 lb total.
6 gallon gasoline - estimated to 50 lbs

Please help me decide. I just want to my boat to seat parallel to water surface. I'm also not planning to use jackplate simply because I do not know if that will make a difference or not.

If you were in my situation. Which motor will you buy and why? And which one will give me a balance ride.

Thank you in advance to all that will share their thoughts and recommendation.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Go with the 30, plenty of power for the boat and the weight savings is a huge plus. You may only see a few extra mph with the 40. Better fuel economy plus less weight makes the 30 a winner. I would imagine the 30 hp would push you between 28-32 mph in that boat.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I really like the front steering than tiller especially when it's a long distance cruising.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But I like the information you provided about the little gain from 30 to 40 hp and how 30 can be more economical on gas.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's what my boat looks like. Mine is olive and tan.

So far here's What I understood why I should go for 30.
- 40 hp is 50 lbs heavier than 30
- 40 has little performance gain than 30
- 40 is about 800 dollar more than 30
- 40 consumes more gas than 30 traveling the same distance.
- 40 will make my rear hull sit an inch or two lower on water than 30. Saw this info somewhere.

Anymore reason why I should go with 30 HP.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another one I'd like to know is if I need a jack plate or not. Most of the Gheenoe I've seen has a jackplate. If so which one should I buy and how can that help in my setup. Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Gordon for sharing your thoughts. I know 40 has more power but I think most of the time I'll be fishing with someone lighter than 200 lbs so really think 30 is enough for me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you Gordon. Ill start without a jackplate and hopefully the holes he's going to drill will match to jackplates required hole locations in case I decide later to add one. I understand the installer will drill two holes at the bottom of the transom and the upper part will be clamped. Any guidelines on deciding the proper location of the bottom holes. How do they determine this? I'm going to have the tohatsu dealer do this for me but I'd like to go there with little knowledge how it's done by others.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you all for the help. My boat is now with the dealer installing the 30 HP. I'll open another topic regarding how others mounted the tachometer, speedometer, tilt gauge on their Gheenoe super 16.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
They have this same model with stick steer at the rear and front. Thry can do any thing you want.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts