Motor not starting

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by nightfly, Feb 24, 2015.

1. nightfly

nightfly I Love microskiff.com!

As the title says my motor won't start. It makes one little click sound then nothing. I have a new battery, the battery cables were replaced two years ago. I have 12 volts at the starter so I believe the cables are still good. I'm guessing its the starter or solenoid. What else could it be? It's a Yamaha 50hp 4stroke 2006

2. timemachine

timemachine I Love microskiff.com!

My first guess would be loose or corroded ware or a half dead battery.

I would try to check the voltage with the volt meter grounded at the ground connector on the motor, with the + probe at the + terminal on the motor. Try to start the motor and see where the volts go when it clicks.

Also, if you have a battery charger ( which everybody should have- a nice one is pretty cheap these days), it never hurts to top off the battery, whether it's dead or not. 12 volts even could be low.

3. nightfly

nightfly I Love microskiff.com!

Battery is brand new. Cleaned all the connections. Even tried to jump start it off my truck.

4. AfterHours2

AfterHours2 Stripper in my own Mind!

Verify the kill switch is working properly [smiley=1-mmm.gif]

5. Creek Runner

Creek Runner Well-Known Member

Kill switch wouldn't mKe it click, nothing would happen. pull the starter motor off, ground the starter and then touch the hot post to a hot wire coming a hot battery if the starter motor engages starter is good, R&R solenoid

Hot wire used should be 4 gauge wire or better.

Check all connections 1st, your bench testing the starter if connections are good only thing left is the solenoid.

6. timemachine

timemachine I Love microskiff.com!

One thing I've learned, after 40 years of messing around with wires, including working as a tech and engineer, is never to assume anything. you have a voltometer, trace through the circuit and see where the volts go when you hear the click. (the volts have to be going somewhere) If you want, start at the battery terminals, and then work both leads to the starter. A click usually means that there is some continuity, but either too much resistance, or not enough juice.

It's possible that it is the starter, but I would exclude all the possibilities first. Simple first, then think complex.