Motor Losin Fuel, Fuel/water Separator???

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by OSWLD, Feb 5, 2010.

1. OSWLD

OSWLD Don't Float the Mainstream

i'm runnin a 40 2 strk hatsu. i just installed a water/fuel separator recently. i've been running this set up for a few days and had no problems. but the other day i hammered down and the motor just shut down. it was acting like it had no gas. the ball was soft so i pumped it up and it would run for a second. i checked all connections and everything was good. so i bypassed the sep. and it eventually got fuel and didn't have any problems the rest of the day.

so has anyone had any problems similar to this?

2. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Incomplete seal between the canister and the mounting bracket.
    Possible split in the gasket is letting air leak in.

3. OSWLD

OSWLD Don't Float the Mainstream

you know thats the only thing i didnt check hen i was in the water and haven't messed with it since. i'm bout to check it out.
    thanks

4. topnative2

topnative2 Well-Known Member

the filter will fill up w/ water and resrict the flow of gas at high rpm initially and will get worse from there---u may have had water in the tank already and the filter is doing its job--empty it and reattach it till probem goes away