Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I have an 11 pitch prop coming. I hope that will work till I can get a bigger outboard. The outboard is a little lower now than in the original picture Much higher and it tends to blow out. I would have thought that the motor would have got the boat on plane and I still think it should. I am trying to avoid a hydrofoil/compression plate. I spoke with the guy at Tillman's Propeller a local shop in my area. If need some help he is the guy to talk to.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Is a compression plate similar to a hydrofoil? If so its my understanding that a hydrofoil is a a compensation for a poorly matched outboard, boat, prop and motor placement. A properly matched outboard at the right height with the right prop shouldn't need a hydrofoil. Its also my understanding that a hydrofoil won't do much and could hurt the performance of an outboard that is properly match. So I am trying to get the outboard and boat set right together and then go from there if I need one I will eventually do it.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
9,877 Posts
Is a compression plate similar to a hydrofoil? If so its my understanding that a hydrofoil is a a compensation for a poorly matched outboard, boat, prop and motor placement. A properly matched outboard at the right height with the right prop shouldn't need a hydrofoil. Its also my understanding that a hydrofoil won't do much and could hurt the performance of an outboard that is properly match. So I am trying to get the outboard and boat set right together and then go from there if I need one I will eventually do it.
Who told you all that?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Things I have read and researched. Porpoising for example could be a problem of a motor that isn't mounted at the right height or is is using a poorly matched prop. A hydrofoil can help eliminate the issue but your better off fixing the height or prop issue first. Under powered boats can be helped with a hydrofoil but if you really want more speed higher horsepower is the only way to achieve it. My boat is slightly under powered. I may need a hydrofoil in the end, but I really don't want one.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Also in a boat that wont go that fast the last thing I need is to add more weight and drag for top end. Maybe it will plane off faster but I will lose speed on the top end. Most I the people I have spoken to don't recommend a hydrofoil unless you can't fix the problems with out it. There is no question they will help but a better option is a properly matched outboard setup with trim taps.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
9,877 Posts
A hydrofoil is flat and acts like a trim tab and magnifies the effect of tilting and trimming an outboard. It does little or nothing to hold water around a prop to stay “hooked up”.
A conpression plate curves down on the sides and catches and holds water around the prop to allow the prop to stay “hooked up” with the water and not blow out. It also has all the attributes of the hydrofoil but the additional curved down sides of the plate.
Trim tabs, compression plates, jack plates, cupped props, low water pickups etc are not band-aids but lots of people that sell props and work on motors think that they are just useless accessories that people use to mitigate or correct issues.
They are tools that allow more refined and specialized control and efficient operation of these “holes in the water in which we throw money”.

Check this video out. This is my Maverick HPX Tunnel running 34mph jacked up halfway which is higher than most skiffs are set up with the jack plate fully raised.Note the water being held around the prop, concentrating water and exiting straight out. Without the plate the prop would blow out due to losing grip on the water that exits the tunnel.

·
Premium Member
1,920 Posts
A hydrofoil is flat and acts like a trim tab and magnifies the effect of tilting and trimming an outboard. It does little or nothing to hold water around a prop to stay “hooked up”.
A conpression plate curves down on the sides and catches and holds water around the prop to allow the prop to stay “hooked up” with the water and not blow out. It also has all the attributes of the hydrofoil but the additional curved down sides of the plate.
Trim tabs, compression plates, jack plates, cupped props, low water pickups etc are not band-aids but lots of people that sell props and work on motors think that they are just useless accessories that people use to mitigate or correct issues.
They are tools that allow more refined and specialized control and efficient operation of these “holes in the water in which we throw money”.

Check this video out. This is my Maverick HPX Tunnel running 34mph jacked up halfway which is higher than most skiffs are set up with the jack plate fully raised.Note the water being held around the prop, concentrating water and exiting straight out. Without the plate the prop would blow out due to losing grip on the water that exits the tunnel.

Well said brother! Rubbin’ is Racin’!

Reactions: Smackdaddy53

·
I Love microskiff.com!
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
So I got the new prop. I ran the boat it got on plane and was able to get around 25-27 mph at WOT. I may have had some very very light porpoising. I had the the lock pin out so that may have been the issue. I may try raise it no more 1/2 to 1/4 of an inch to see it it makes a difference.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

·
Premium Member
1,920 Posts
Still about 1.5”-2” low

·
I Love microskiff.com!
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Well I am getting blow out in the turns. I am not sure if I can raise it much more I know when I changed the hole the locking pin was in it had blow out as soon as I tried to get on plane.

·
Premium Member
1,920 Posts
Is there anything protruding such as a livewell pick up from the bottom of the hull?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
No. The livewell intake and drain I plumbed to the back.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts