Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was torn between HB and BT but I think I am going with the BT. There are some nice BT's for sale or a new one is not much more just have to wait. I figure why fight to find a HB that I like or have to drive 15 hrs to get one. Choice I'm having trouble with is which one. The Mosquito sounds great has lots of happy owners but the Vengeance does as well. I like the larger beam but poling must be incredible on the Mosquito. Draft is so close I don't think the 3 inches will make that big of a deal other than winter time. Is there anyone that knows both boats and can give some real feedback? Happy New Year all be safe.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Been on both, the big reason for the Vengeance is more people on the boat and better ride in open water. If I were always fishing two or less, the Mosquito is a better pick.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,086 Posts
Love, you are on the right track & Cam is spot on. I've been on both also & both are great rides. I just parted with my B2 & have a Mosquito ordered. I never fish more than 2 and VERY impressed overall in the Mosquito filling my needs. As far as rough water goes, we were in nearly 2 footers & in churning water where small river met big river and 10-20 wind....NO problem whatsoever in the Mosquito. I've been in both HB & BT build sites & they both produce fine skiffs however; Will Liz, Eric & the entire build team are quality & CUSTOMER service/satisfaction driven. During our discussions, I believe everything possible was addressed & double checked. I suggest you give BT a call & go from there. Best of luck !

·
Registered
926 Posts
Two very different boats! You should really spend some time on both and figure out which meets your needs. I've had my Mosquito for over a year now, and bought it slightly used. Service from BT is way, way above par and I can't say enough good things about them. The Mosquito handles rough water very, very well, if you know how to drive it. I've had it in some honest 2-3 footers but you better be hanging on and have your kill switch attached if a crossing sea. It's got a lot of V which accounts for the big water capability. I have a good friend with a B3, which I think is the same as the Vengeance? He's fished with me and really liked how much shallower I could get vs his but his is likely way more stable. The Mosquito is a bit tippy and with myself and 2 kids, you have to learn to stay centered and pay attention. I think it's an honest 7-8" draft with 3 of us and a dog, as well as gear and maybe, if I shed some weight, it would do 6". If I was running big water (ie most of my time in 2-3') or mainly chasing tarpon, i'd go Vengeance. If wanting to chase fish 12" or less most of the time, Mosquito would be my choice! I'm completely obsessed with shallow draft and hole shot. Here in TX, the Mosquito does well for poling but is not as shallow in terms of hole shot without the tunnel and short shaft motor. I'd love to see what it would do with both of those. It's been said over and over, but water test them. I'd sure try to hire a guide and fish with them for a full day. The Mosquito has fit and finish as nice as any HB out there and is quite capable. Wiring, install of gadgets, etc is very, very nice. My 0.02.

Reactions: Lovegettingsnooked
B

·
0 Posts
Different boats but all great boats and great companies that have proven themselves as producing quality priducts with good customer service!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Debating Mosquito and Vengeance. I'll be fishing the Tampa Bay and Sarasota Bay area. I've been to the factory and love the people and the skiffs!!

We are considering a full time move from New England area.

I have a 6 month old and I will want to take my wife and kid out on it from time to time as well as friends to fish. We also have a 23 center console Maritime Defiant (you southern folk probably don't know maritimes!). Not completely sure what the future holds for us if we will keep two boats or not!

Open to input as I don't have a ton of experience fishing flats and shallows. I fly fish. Do I need the skinny water features of the Mosquito? Should I just go for the slightly larger Vengeance? Whats going to be the difference pulling these skiffs? Don't have a ton of trailer experience either. Very experienced on boats, not very experienced fishing flats and pulling boats.

Thanks thanks thanks!

·
Registered
926 Posts
I personally would be concerned about a toddler and a mosquito but all poling skiffs will be somewhat that way. I loved my Mosquito overall by critique was it was a bit tippy and it was an 8” skiff as I had rigged. Pick a skiff for what you will use it for 80% of the time.

Reactions: Daninavan

·
Registered
22 Posts
Debating Mosquito and Vengeance. I'll be fishing the Tampa Bay and Sarasota Bay area. ... Don't have a ton of trailer experience either. Very experienced on boats, not very experienced fishing flats and pulling boats.

Thanks thanks thanks!
Also, I do fish solo and will be a fair amount.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I own a Mosquito and I have fished the Vengeance and the Elite. There is wide gap between the Mosquito and the Vengeance. 2 very different boats with some similarities. I have poled the Vengeance before and was surprised at how well it poled for such a big boat. Not tippy at all. But it is not going to pole like the Mosquito. And if you are looking for staking tarpon in big open water, the Vengeance is the boat for you. If you are wanting what the Mosquito does, which is get skinny, but are looking for a little more stability, you might consider the Strike or Elite. I have fished the Elite in the Gulf for tarpon. Great compromise between the Mosquito and the Vengeance. Beavertail advertises the Strike as the Swiss Army Knife of their fleet. IOW, a boat that can do everything.
Family on boat.jpg
I have had my Mosquito in the Gulf but I make sure it is completely flat and as soon as the wind turns onshore, I am headed back in. The Mosquito doesn't feel tippy to me, but I came from an Ankona, which was real tippy. I love my Mosquito as I get skinny, I regularly bring my daughter, my wife and dog on it but I love fishing it with 2 people.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Padre -

Great write up thanks for that.

The truth is yes I will be fishing tarpon but maybe that’s something I’ll be doing from my 23 center console? It has a t top so I guess they’d see me sooner, unsure of how much a disadvantage that will be. I imagine I’ll be targeting all species fly guys normally do around here. (Tarpon, snook, redfish, trout etc?)

how much would the vengeance put me at a disadvantage to finding these fish in the shallows? I can’t imagine it would be make or break that often...

Thanks!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
691 Posts
I think you give up more than you gain in going for the mosquito. The vengeance is still a great poking boat- albeit 2 more inches of draft. Other than that- the vengeance offer so much more comfort, storage and versatility. Boats like the mosquito are truly great at what they do, but are much more one trick ponies. There are no right or wrong answers between the 2 - just be honest w yourself on how much ultra skinny water fishing you will be doing versus other things. I’ve had 2 vengeance’s- I think it is the best group of compromises of all flats boats being made. Also- the under the bench storage is unique and amazing on the vengeance.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Padre -

Great write up thanks for that.

The truth is yes I will be fishing tarpon but maybe that’s something I’ll be doing from my 23 center console? It has a t top so I guess they’d see me sooner, unsure of how much a disadvantage that will be. I imagine I’ll be targeting all species fly guys normally do around here. (Tarpon, snook, redfish, trout etc?)

how much would the vengeance put me at a disadvantage to finding these fish in the shallows? I can’t imagine it would be make or break that often...

Thanks!
IMO, if you are going to fish for tarpon off the CC, which guys do it around here all the time, then I would go with the Mosquito. If you want a boat that can do both, I would opt for the Elite. My buddy had a Vengeance and he loved to tarpon fish it, but he also loved the backcountry and so he sold the Vengeance and bought the Elite. He did give up so rougher water capability though. Last summer we were in the Gulf fishing for Tarpon, the wind turned on shore, we staying out longer than we should have a took a few waves over the bow on the way back in his Elite. It was a down wind run on the way home so one could say it was his driving more than the boat. So as with most boat choices, you have to figure out what is most important. One thing you could do it go to the Beavertail website and it lists all the guides that are running BT's and which ones they have. Contact some of them and see what they say.
Whether or not the Vengeance will make or break you in the shallows depends on where you are going to be fishing. Around here (Destin) wouldn't make that much of a difference because the tide swings are not significant. But in some places, low tide might keep you out until the tide starts coming back in.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I own a BTV and find it certainly skinny enough for most anything we fish for in the Bradenton Sarasota area. The hull is awesome, and she does well with the 90 hp Suzuki. I’ve fished the mosquito in the Bahamas for bonefish and she was great too. I fish alone quite a bit here locally with a trolling motor on the Vengeance and love the boat.. and when I run up to Miguel Bay thé Vengeance is the way to go!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I built a 2017 Mosquito and fished it for 18 months then built a 2019 Vengeance which I still have. Loved my Mosquito only negatives in my opinion
"Sponsons" did not like them really impacted ability to steer at slow speeds
70" Beam = Tippy
Hard to fish more than 2
"Vengeance" in one word WOW awesome boat that extra 12 inches of beam make it a tank "steers, handles and rides like a dream"
Comfortably fish 3 grown men and I take the boat and fish in the same areas I would take the Mosquito

1 - 20 of 30 Posts