Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Rex Kwan Do Dojo
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today on Flats Class, original airing today 5/4/19, CA went out with Flip. Episode was called Flippin. Anyways, the goon sucks so bad they had to put previous episodes together to make this episode! They didn’t catch anything. Repeat. Two of Florida’s finest guides did not catch a fish in the goon.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,433 Posts
The Texas coast is on the way to becoming the Mosquito Lagoon if water front development and estuary degradation continue. But who wants the state or heaven forbid the federal government involved in what waterfront property owners can do with their property? And who wants to allow governments to use eminent domain to acquire what was once hundreds of thousands of acres of swamp land so that the prime agricultural land that was once a horrible, useless swamp can be restored back to a mosquito infested swamp?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Today on Flats Class, original airing today 5/4/19, CA went out with Flip. Episode was called Flippin. Anyways, the goon sucks so bad they had to put previous episodes together to make this episode! They didn’t catch anything. Repeat. Two of Florida’s finest guides did not catch a fish in the goon.
Its amazing, all they have to do is buy property by force, cut a new inlet and save the lagoon..just comon sense

·
Banned
12,340 Posts
The Texas coast is on the way to becoming the Mosquito Lagoon if water front development and estuary degradation continue. But who wants the state or heaven forbid the federal government involved in what waterfront property owners can do with their property? And who wants to allow governments to use eminent domain to acquire what was once hundreds of thousands of acres of swamp land so that the prime agricultural land that was once a horrible, useless swamp can be restored back to a mosquito infested swamp?
Only a few will talk about it, lots of folks know it’s inevitable but nothing changes.

·
Registered
45 Posts
L
Lots of mosquitoes and good fishing just seem to go together !!

·
Registered
1999 Whipray, 2017 Tohatsu MFS50
756 Posts
Last time I was in POC I noticed they are doing a bunch of dirt work for another development on the western edge of town. I got home and checked google maps, and it looks like they're dredging canals in there, too...so more waterfront real estate. They are STILL trying to close out The Sanctuary. I've been getting "last chance!" emails from them once a week since last summer, and there's another piece of ranch land along the ICW between Charlie's and The Sanctuary that's for sale. At the rate things are going, it's only a matter of time until Austwell and Tivoli blow up, too.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Its amazing, all they have to do is buy property by force, cut a new inlet and save the lagoon..just comon sense
I’m not so sure about that. Are there not plenty of inlets further south and those areas are even worse off? I’m not against maybe a test run and the close it back off. Just to see what some new water will do. Fixing the cause would be the solution. Anything else we would just cause another problem. That’s what man does.

·
Brandon, FL
10,970 Posts
The lagoon was once a very good fishery and decades of neglect took its toll.

I have a question that I do not know the answer to: If the lagoon was good in the past, did they block up some inlets somewhere along the line?

Seems to me that cutting another inlet would be counter productive.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,605 Posts
Conclusion paragraph from the above study:

Computed flushing results for existing conditions were similar previous studies, showing that that the southern portion of the Mosquito Lagoon and the Banana River are poorly flushed at time scales of several months or more. The Titusville area of the IRL also remained poorly flushed in model simulations of existing conditions. The most improved flushing rates and extent resulted from adding either a tidal inlet inlet or pumping station connection to the coastal ocean across narrow sections of the barrier island. A narrow tidal inlet or pumping station located in the south compartment of the Mosquito Lagoon produced complete flushing of the lagoon and north compartment of the IRL (Grid 1) within 70 days or less. A tidal inlet across the South Cocoa Beach barrier island also substantially improved flushing of the Banana River included in Grid 2. Opening the water locks at Port Canaveral also improved flushing but at a somewhat slower rate. This is attributed to the long conveyance channel between the Port entrance and the Banana River, which may dissipate tidal energy to a greater degree than a shorter inlet connection. Widening of Sebastian Inlet to about twice the width at the throat section did not noticeable improve either the rate or extent of flushing in the IRL

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
There's a 110 mile stretch between Ponce and Sebastian. The area between the inlets has 0 tidal flow and has become particularly bad in terms of water quality and sea grass death. The port is not a reliable source of flow and will never be. Too much money there to risk sand build up. While a new inlet or pumping station doesn't fix the root of the problem it wouldn't hurt much at this point to give it a try. If it helps then continue. If the problem doesn't get better then stop. From what I have seen there was an inlet in Mosquito Lagoon back in the early 1900's.

With Florida's continuing population explosion we are going to have to figure out some man made solutions to offset the growing impact of people. I believe we are past the point of it being able to fix itself.

·
Registered
469 Posts
There's a 110 mile stretch between Ponce and Sebastian. The area between the inlets has 0 tidal flow and has become particularly bad in terms of water quality and sea grass death. The port is not a reliable source of flow and will never be. Too much money there to risk sand build up. While a new inlet or pumping station doesn't fix the root of the problem it wouldn't hurt much at this point to give it a try. If it helps then continue. If the problem doesn't get better then stop. From what I have seen there was an inlet in Mosquito Lagoon back in the early 1900's.

With Florida's continuing population explosion we are going to have to figure out some man made solutions to offset the growing impact of people. I believe we are past the point of it being able to fix itself.
yes but the all-knowing scientists say that flushing higher salinity sea water into the IRL/ML system will alter the biodiversity of the lagoon which is counterproductive...

thus the never-ending do-loop between the "fix the source of the problem" crowd and the "flush it" crowd......

·
Registered
264 Posts
Flushing, in my mind, is the only option that will realistically ever be implemented. That’s why the flushing guys keep chiming in. And that’s still very far off.

·
Brandon, FL
10,970 Posts
Flushing, in my mind, is the only option that will realistically ever be implemented. That’s why the flushing guys keep chiming in. And that’s still very far off.
If they flush what what happens to all the life that can't live with that much salt?

I'm not smart enough to know but what i do know is that the glades were destroyed by about $50 million and to fix it wilk take a trillion.

So i kind of agree with you that is what wi be likely. There is money in the process. There is no money in educating the polluters.

·
Registered
264 Posts
If they flush what what happens to all the life that can't live with that much salt?

I'm not smart enough to know but what i do know is that the glades were destroyed by about $50 million and to fix it wilk take a trillion.

So i kind of agree with you that is what wi be likely. There is money in the process. There is no money in educating the polluters.
I’m no scientician, but I tend to believe the lagoon will kill most of the species living in it if we continue on the current path. In my mind, we introduce more saltwater inside or everything dies out.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,605 Posts

I don't know the answer, but I am assuming that by the current trend, everything will die off anyway. the north part of the banana river and indian river don't have grass anymore. also, the redfish wont mind the salt water.

The good thing about the pumping station: you can shut it off after the 70 day flush and the salinity should came back down.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Mosquito is a hyper saline environment at around 32-34ppt. Ocean water is 35ppt. This is why some species who normally spawn in the ocean can do so in the lagoon. Introduction of seawater shouldn't have any consequences. I am not saying I vote for that, I am just giving facts related to salinity levels.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts