More West Marine Madness...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by TomFL, Sep 10, 2011.

1. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

Stopped at West Marine over the weekend as I needed a quart of gelcoat for some minor touch up on the flats boat.

$58.99!!!!!!

Needless to say I didn't pick it up. Haven't bought any in a long time but my gut was telling me that sounded pretty high.

Yesterday I stopped over at the other locally-owned marine supply store: $12.60

West Marine, that's ridiculous. Almost 5x the price?

The sales associates should start wearing masks, because that's robbery.

-T

2. ko

ko Well-Known Member

Yup. I was looking at batteries yesterday...at West $139.95. At the locally owned store $92 for the same battery.

3. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

[movedhere] General Discussion [move by] iMacattack.

4. anytide

anytide Administrator Staff Member

they r steeep on the $ , handy when u need something sometimes, but i can order online get it shipped @ better $ usually ...
    --bunch of schmucks running the counter / dont know anything other than suntan oil  :mad:
               -there days are numbered if they get it together.
       .02                -anytide

5. cutrunner

cutrunner Cert. Yamaha technician

Tom: whered u get a gallon of gelcoat for $12? :-?

6. anytide

7. cutrunner

Oooo :eek: yea, i was gonna say cuz im pretty sure a gallon of gelcoat at westmarine is $100. Its $30 at the glass shop down the street, and it hasnt been on a shelf for 2 years and its much better quality.

8. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

If you find a gallon for $30 get me two and I'll leave 'em in the fridge next to my wife's okra till I find another GC project..!

Quarts at A-1 on Clayton off Dixie is where I've been getting this stuff and the awlgrip and imron stuff. Seem to be nice guys over there.

Maybe they're just happy from all the paint fumes??

-T

9. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

Oh, and dude, if a quart of gelcoat at West Marine is $60, I H-I-G-H-L-Y doubt they will sell a gallon for $100 :eek: :eek:

-T

10. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

The last time I was at West Marine they had free samples of Vaseline at the cash registers.

11. cutrunner

Tom: fiberglass supply depot in ft pierce has a second store right at the end of salerno rd by the train tracks next to some guatamalan carniceria lol. Nice family run company. Yea, west marines fiberglass prices are epic. Imagine building a boat only using stuff at west marine haaa ::)

12. anytide

---oouuuuch!! :'(
    -'tide

13. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

Thanks but I usually duct tape the trap door shut before entering.

14. SilentHunter

SilentHunter Resin Slinger

take it from me.

there over priced items that the idiots who know nothing about boats waste there money there.

they treat there employees like they are nobody and replaceable on the spot.

i worked there 4 months full time 6 days a week.

then out of nowhere was down to 12 hours a week over 3 days.

i bet if you asked 95% of the people who work at west marine if they sold "Prop Wash" they would have to ask 3-4 other people and look in there "catalog" before they found out you were "effing" with them.

i busted my hump for that company coming in on my days off to fill in for people staying extra hours because things had to be done.

ive been in on and around boats since i was born. My first boat i got when i was 8 i still have it. 10 ft Lowe flat bottom jon boat. I might ask a dumb question here in there and im not claiming to be GOD when it comes to knowing everything about boats.... but im in that 2% of people who knew what was going on... and got treated like trash.

please please please. never shop there. they are like the walmart of boating.