more old Alaska float trip pic's circa 2004

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by deerfly, Sep 23, 2008.

1. deerfly

deerfly Opinicus iracibilus

Been trying to scan some old slides when I get the time and figured I'd share them with everyone. More or less a lot of the same point-n-shoots I've posted on this site before but these are 35mm slides with a little better detail and color.

Me at camp on a cold morning.
    [​IMG]

Same camp shot from the main river the following morning after a few storms and more snow.
    [​IMG]

Another camp, before and after a snow.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My canoe before a float hunt.
    [​IMG]

Another shot with some small game to supplement a freeze dried meal.
    [​IMG]

Scotty's 19' Grumman, a battleship of a canoe and talk about a workhorse for remote trips.
    [​IMG]

Every year I get to hunt up there I make something for my friend Scotty for the trip. Here I made a broad head file using a piece of moose antler and hand stitched a leather sheath for it. Back at this time I was also actively making bamboo backed osage bows, reflex/deflex design. This is one I made for Scotty, but it came under draw weight so it was re-gifted to another friends wife, who still shoots the bow today.  :cool:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think I have some sequence photo's of building these bows, I'll try to post them too one of these days.

Also, have some 2006 Alaska slides that I'll post tonight or tomorrow too.

2. captnron

captnron Guest

I'm waiting. :D

Thanks for sharing. :cool:

I was going to make a comment about "the beach" but you blew it with the word "snow" ;D ;D ;D

3. costefishnt

costefishnt Cost Efish'nt³

yet again, you impress the hell out of me. I have an old, lemme repeat, OLD recurve that my brother scored years ago. During moving it now has a crack. That was one of the best most accurate bows I have ever had the pleasure of shooting....sorry the pictures reminded me....

4. deerfly

deerfly Opinicus iracibilus

the bow was named Bullwinkle, it was a hybrid experiment, bamboo, hickory and osage with a cocobola riser.

I don't have the whole sequence, but I do have a bunch for a similar bow I build for Trey, which I'll post on a separate thread. Here's the other Bullwinkle pic's...

Here's the basic laminations
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gluing the riser block the the 3 lamination's that are already glued up in reflex/deflex
    [​IMG]

Another sequence of riser pic's after the first round of shaping. This is all done with rasp's, files, a bowyers tool called the Bowyers Edge which is a little bit like a cabinet scraper, but tailored for bow building.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What you don't see here is the long tedious process of scraping the bending the limbs into a uniform arc to full draw. The process is called tillering and takes me several multi-hour sessions over the course of about a week to do. The bow tips are reinforced with an overlay of moose antler so the bow can be shot with FastFlight strings or used as a walking stick to ford a stream, etc. Once the tip overlays are formed then the bow is finished sanded and put in a drying box to bring the moisture content down before applying the finish.

Anyway, here's more finished pic's. The colors are blended by hand using Rit Dye and denatured alcohol.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The bow was delivered with a stitched moose skin leather grip. Didn't take pic's of that tho.  :(