Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's getting real close to paint time on my rebuild project 17t and I just got super lucky and scored a quart of f8063 snow white awl craft 2000 and a quart and a half of f5439 Atlantic blue for free. I'm planning on doing the nonskid in the blue and everything else above the rub rail in the white. I need to know what is the whole process of the paint application. What primers, fillers, converters, reducers, and anything else I need. I will be rolling and tipping and would like to save a little money if I can get away with any cheaper products than the awl grip line. This ones for you paint it black. Thanks!

·
Paddling away...
6,520 Posts
AwlCraft requires a clear topcoat over the color. I have more experience shooting AwlGrip. As for rolling and tipping, I don't know much about it. For I spray all paints that I use.

For Primer, use Awlgrip's 545.
I use Awlfair for a filler. But it's super tough, and dries like concrete...lol So It's not the easiest to sand.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just realized that awlcraft 2000 is for spray application only. Do you think it would be a bad idea to shoot the white and then roll the nonskid? The nonskid will probably be regular awl grip in seafoam.
Also, have you used awl quick for primer? I think that's recommended for rolling and I'm probably going to have to use a separate filler before priming.

·
Paddling away...
6,520 Posts
What I do, is shoot awlgrip on the decks. Let it cure. Then mask off the areas that will be nonskid. Then I sand the area down, and roll on a layer of awlgrip paint with no sand in it. Once I'm done rolling on a coat of paint, I come back with gloves on and spread the nonskid additive around the area. I put a lot. Make it look white. Lol
Let that dry about half an hour to an hour. Come back with a clean vacuum. Suck up the excess additive. (if you wish to recycle it, for there will be a lot of wasted additive.) or you can just use a compressor with a blower and blow off the excess. Once all the excess has been removed, come back and roll two more layers of awlgrip on top. You get a nice consistent pattern this way. That's very grippy. I mix coarse and fine grit additive together to get a good balance. But too much coarse may make it uncomfortable.

Just realized that awlcraft 2000 is for spray application only. Do you think it would be a bad idea to shoot the white and then roll the nonskid? The nonskid will probably be regular awl grip in seafoam.
Also, have you used awl quick for primer? I think that's recommended for rolling and I'm probably going to have to use a separate filler before priming.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool. That's about what I had in mind. As far as a fairing filler to go in some of the dings, can I get away with something cheap? Like marine bondo? The only fairing filler I've ever used was west systems 410 and I don't want to go that route.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts