More awlgrip questions

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by sjd0004, Mar 19, 2012.

1. sjd0004

sjd0004 I Love microskiff.com!

It's getting real close to paint time on my rebuild project 17t and I just got super lucky and scored a quart of f8063 snow white awl craft 2000 and a quart and a half of f5439 Atlantic blue for free. I'm planning on doing the nonskid in the blue and everything else above the rub rail in the white. I need to know what is the whole process of the paint application. What primers, fillers, converters, reducers, and anything else I need. I will be rolling and tipping and would like to save a little money if I can get away with any cheaper products than the awl grip line. This ones for you paint it black. Thanks!

2. paint it black

paint it black Paddling away...

AwlCraft requires a clear topcoat over the color. I have more experience shooting AwlGrip. As for rolling and tipping, I don't know much about it. For I spray all paints that I use.

For Primer, use Awlgrip's 545.
    I use Awlfair for a filler. But it's super tough, and dries like concrete...lol So It's not the easiest to sand.

3. sjd0004

Just realized that awlcraft 2000 is for spray application only. Do you think it would be a bad idea to shoot the white and then roll the nonskid? The nonskid will probably be regular awl grip in seafoam.
    Also, have you used awl quick for primer? I think that's recommended for rolling and I'm probably going to have to use a separate filler before priming.

4. paint it black

paint it black Paddling away...

What I do, is shoot awlgrip on the decks. Let it cure. Then mask off the areas that will be nonskid. Then I sand the area down, and roll on a layer of awlgrip paint with no sand in it. Once I'm done rolling on a coat of paint, I come back with gloves on and spread the nonskid additive around the area. I put a lot. Make it look white. Lol
    Let that dry about half an hour to an hour. Come back with a clean vacuum. Suck up the excess additive. (if you wish to recycle it, for there will be a lot of wasted additive.) or you can just use a compressor with a blower and blow off the excess. Once all the excess has been removed, come back and roll two more layers of awlgrip on top. You get a nice consistent pattern this way. That's very grippy. I mix coarse and fine grit additive together to get a good balance. But too much coarse may make it uncomfortable.

5. sjd0004

Cool. That's about what I had in mind. As far as a fairing filler to go in some of the dings, can I get away with something cheap? Like marine bondo? The only fairing filler I've ever used was west systems 410 and I don't want to go that route.

6. oysterbreath

oysterbreath Well-Known Member

My favourite so far is Quickfair. It ain't as cheap as mixing your own but DANG that's some GREAT STUFF!

7. WhiteDog70810

WhiteDog70810 Mostly Harmless

x2 on the Quickfair. I've mixed my own using microballons and a little bit of woodflour, but Quickfair is much nicer. It spreads like butter and is much easier to sand.

Nate