Moonshine rods

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by Backcountry 16, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Backcountry 16

Backcountry 16 Well-Known Member

Anyone cast or have one of these rods? Looking at them online not bad 200.00 bucks with life time warranty. I know that's only good if the company is still open obviously. I usually fish Sage and Loomis but wanted to get a 5 weight possibly.

2. mtoddsolomon

mtoddsolomon Lip Ripper

I emailed them one time and they guy said they have similar action to a TFO BVK in the 8 wt

3. Backcountry 16

I have never cast a tfo, but I am still a little leary that's why I stick with Sage or Loomis usually.

4. AgAngler2370

AgAngler2370 Active Member

I've casted an 8 wt with a guide that had one. The rod felt pretty good and the action wast semi-fast (I don't like super fast rods with my stroke) but I could definitely tell the difference in the smoothness of the load compared to my helios 2 8wt. For the price point of these rods I think it is worth trying if nothing else for a boat rod to let people use who are newbies or you just wouldn't trust with your NRX, Meridian, or Helios. I did like it better then the TFO BVk just because it felt like it had a little more backbone and I've broken a BVK. TFO Mangrove is another value priced rod that would be worth checking out and I think a better comparison.

5. Backwater

Backwater Fly Fishing Shaman

Not meaning to jump the thread, have you compared the Recon to the H2 in the 8wt? Hearing what you are saying about super fast rods, you may like the slight softer action of that rod over the H2.

BC 16, where is that company?

6. Backcountry 16

Not sure where they are located I was just online and they pooped up and was curious if anyone casted or had one.

7. UnitedFly

UnitedFly Well-Known Member

Charlottesville, Virginia I believe

8. Backcountry 16

Makes sense with the name if they gave me a mason jar full of clear with it then I would definitely buy one.

9. AgAngler2370

AgAngler2370 Active Member

I have a Recon too and you're right I love it. Only thing I like my H2 better for is short quick shots when water clarity is murky and cant see the fish until they are almost too close.