Registered
26 Posts

·
Registered
1,882 Posts

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Probably more a blind squirrel scenario.
I didn’t do any fishing today but my wife is wanting to sleep in tomorrow so I can go in the morning.

What time of day is best for trout fishing?
Anytime that you can get out! 😂 Seriously though, sometimes during the hot summer months, the water temperature is generally cooler right at first light. The trout will be a bit more active and generally not as spooky as they might be as the sun hits the water. If the day/days are particularly hot, the water temperature can rise enough to be near lethal to trout especially trying to fight the angler.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Probably more a blind squirrel scenario.
I didn’t do any fishing today but my wife is wanting to sleep in tomorrow so I can go in the morning.

What time of day is best for trout fishing?
You'll need to get a second opinion on this one, but I think about 9 am and 5 pm. Hatches start after the sun has warmed up a bit. Evenings I think the hatches are good and lower light chills fish out a bit.

Again, double check with someone who knows more than me, an occasional trout guy.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
This time of year its going to be mid to late morning. Its cold at night probably 40 up there or so. Ideal water temps for trouts mid 50s and rising for feeding.

Reactions: Jared D

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, several days doing the Fam thing in Yellowstone. So many fly fishermen here both in the parks on the Madison and the other park rivers… and outside the park are tons more.

We contributed to the madness and did a guided trip down the Snake River. I mainly tossed “meat” aka streamers and got zero takes. I got a few “flashes” but no commitments.
I did catch a rainbow and a cutthroat on hopper dropper rig.
Both my boys scored big trout. This was their first time fly fishing so they were amped.
One nice cutthroat ~19” and a nice brown ~17”. We caught several good ones throughout the day.
Fisherman Salmon-like fish Fishing Fish Ray-finned fish

Water Vertebrate Fisherman Fish Fishing

·
Registered
2020 Mitzi 17T
14 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Awesome, thanks for sharing. MT is still on the to-do list 🙌
Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming are amazing. I learned a lot about trout fishing and think I could hurt them more now.
One mistake I did was using a handmade tippet… it was way to heavy for dry flies. It wasn’t until the last day I had a Orvis shop guy set me up w a tapered tippet. It allowed my little dries much better success.

To show how little I know of the area… we stayed for four days at a cabin w a river 100 yards from it (Island Park). It was the Henry’s Fork… and I had no idea that was a world renowned river.
I fished it the last day right behind the “Trout Hunters” restaurant/ Orvis store…. Saw several slob trout. Got one bite but didn’t put it to hand.

if you ever do go to Island Park, Idaho… definitely get some dinner at the Trout Hunters… aka the Lost Trout. Food was incredible, right on Henry’s Fork, and killer vibe/ atmosphere.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts