Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Monkeys everywhere, I need ya’ll’s help!

6K views 53 replies 32 participants last post by  Capt.Ron 
#1 ·
So most of ya’ll know me and how I feel. I am not a “PETA” person so don’t get this wrong. But a Chinese company has purchased land in Levy county Fl for a “primate breeding facility” to breed lab monkeys. I am all for proper growth and development but there is nothing good going to come from this! As vectors of so many diseases “not including what they’ll be injecting them with” we don’t want monkeys runnin’ around the woods! The Silver Springs monkeys are bad enough! The USDA rarely completes the annual inspections they are supposed to “this I know first hand”. This facility won’t bring any jobs to speak of, it won’t create more growth as the area is pretty remote, so there is nothing good here ya’ll! Please write your representative and Governor Desantis and let them know this is unacceptable!

#3 ·
Agree, I just wanna stop the facility. Stop that, they will sell the land! Would love to end them buying land but that’s gonna take victory 11/8 and in ‘24 and a whole lotta bitching starting now to pull off! And I mean a WHOLE LOTTA bitching!

#5 ·
There's actually "wild" monkeys that live close to a public storage facility behind Ft. Lauderdale airport. i believe they got out many years ago because of a storm. some rich guy had them including other exotic animals. The monkeys have reproduced and have a healthy pack. FWC warns to not feed or touch the monkeys cause they can carry HIV and other nasty shit. Ive seen customers who have storage units there and they leave the car for whatever reason and the monkeys have "robbed" the car.

#9 ·
I will add to what I started lol. I believe a property owner has a right to sell said property to whomever has the coin. I do not believe that a foreign company or even individual without citizenship should be allowed to own any real property anywhere in this country but don’t blame the seller. I damn sure don’t want a lab monkey “breeding facility” a few miles away from my hunt camp! And we all know that breesing facility will transition to “test site” slowly/not so slowly but very quietly! FFS, did we not learn from Rona in Wuhan? Seams they are just trying their luck now! Don’t know what good if any but my emails have been sent. As far as local economy… a Dollar General would do more good that this shit hole will in that area!🤣

#14 ·
They’ve bought the land already. But yeah, makes no sense!

#34 ·
Yeah, where I live in Dania we the we have the monkeys. Think they’re Green Vervet monkeys that escaped like 40 years ago back when E laud/Dania wasn’t much. They pretty much stay to themselves in the mangroves. The problem is (like everything) when/if people start to feed them. Years ago, people were leaving food regularly, and more and more would come. They started getting bolder, coming into the apartment complex, etc. Trappers came, and that was the end of that…

#36 ·
For anyone coming into contact with wild monkeys - use caution and consider them to be possible disease carriers. If my memory is correct I read that it was believed that the origin of the HIV virus was primitive folks in Africa killing monkeys for food… That was the theory about how that disease made the transition from animals to man - long before we ever heard about the problem…

#43 ·
That parcel purchased by the Chinese company (JOINN Labs) is a conservation easement and, while private, is actually managed as part of Goethe State Forest. The state of Florida basically purchased the development rights to this land and that would include a primate breeding facility or any any other 'monkey ranch'.

#48 ·
We have a place in Gulf Hammock and this was a big taking point by many of the locals. I haven't heard anything in a little while but this is what I found.

#50 ·
Says Ocala National Forest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.